Becoming A Modern Day Proverbs 31 Woman

For as long as I can remember, I have wanted to be a wife and mother. As I got older, my friends and I would talk about future plans and dreams. While my friends had dreams of being chefs and psychologists, mine was still to be a wife and mother. I am going to school to be an occupational therapy assistant, but people still awkwardly laugh or look at me funny when I say that my main goal in life is to be a wife and mother.

Is it possible to be both a traditional woman and a feminist? For anyone that knows me well enough, they know I'm a sassy sort of person with an "anything guys can do, I can do better" attitude. I do not appreciate the way the culture portrays women as worthless sex objects. I think that in a lot of ways, but not every way, women can do stuff as well as men. But at the same time as I think these things, I also value the traditional role women play in families and households.

Perhaps what some would say are feministic views, are really just women wanting to not be thought of as lower or unequal to men. I think that men and women are equal, but in different ways. Both have their own tasks in creating a home and community.

As a traditional wife, I want to be there to support my husband. This does not mean I will not share my own opinion, it just means I am relenquishing full control. I want to have a home that people feel comfortable coming to.

As a traditional mom, I want to not only teach my kids the Godly way of living, but I want to be there to love them and train them. I want to be able to give them kisses and read books to them and play with them. Working at a daycare, I see examples of children whose parents work with them, and examples of kids whose parents don't work with them. I want to be able to stay home and nurture my children.

In Proverbs 31, it paints a picture of the Godly wife and mother. To some, she may sound perfect or impossible to be. She supports her husband and he "has full confidence in her." She clothes and feeds her family. She "opens her arms to the poor and embraces the needy." She has strength and dignity and she speaks with wisdom and "instructs faithfully." But the second to last verse of the passage is: "Charm is deceptive and beauty is fleeting, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised." And when I read that verse, I realize that if I fear and honor the Lord, everything will fall into place, and He will help me be the woman I was created to be.

Comments