The Quest to Be Perfect

Psalm 139:13-15
"For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.
My frame was not hidden from you,
when I was made in the secret place,
when I was woven together in the depths of the earth."


The quest to be perfect hits girls around when puberty does. You start noticing images in the media, in movies, and in magazines, that show you the "perfect" way to be. You have to be this thin, you have to wear popular brands. And for what? So you can hang out with the "cool" people? For a couple years, I had the mindset that I had to look a certain way, yet everytime I looked in the mirror, I realized I was failing miserably. But as I got older, I started realizing a lot of things. I realized that people are the same underneath. They feel the same emotions -anger, sadness, happiness. They have the same insecurities whether they are 100 pounds or 200 pounds. I also realized that I would never be perfect, and neither would anyone else.

Today I was thinking about how I will soon be out of my teen years. Boy, did they pass fast! I can still remember turning 13 and thinking, "Everyone says teen years are the worst, but I am going to make them the best ever!" Looking back, it was definitely a rollercoaster ride of emotions and feelings, but I learned a lot. I began to love myself and embrace my uniqueness. I realized that how you treat yourself, is how people will treat you. So I learned to act with confidence, and people started treating me better. I also learned that it's more than okay to be a little weird. Normal is boring.

Just as I am starting to move out of those tough years, my sister is moving into them. As I see things she and many other young girls around me are struggling with, I am slowly starting to grasp the fact that it is even harder on girls to look perfect now, then it was 5 years ago when I was their age. Beautiful girls are struggling with depression and eating disorders.

While these are very real struggles, the true battle is in the mind. It's a mind game against Satan and his lies. I keep finding myself asking the question, "What can I do to make these girls realize that they don't have to be perfect? That it is okay to be flawed." I haven't heard an outloud answer from God yet, but until I do, I guess all I can do is pray, be an example, and be an encourager.

For The Win! Phil. 4:13

Comments