Last Minute Confessions of a Teenager

It's on the eve of my 20th birthday. Tomorrow I will be a teenager no longer! It is so crazy to look back at all the years and think of all the adventures that came with being a teenager.

The only thing I remember about my early teenage years is awkwardness and the drama of teenage girls. Back when we all liked the same guys, and did stupid stuff for attention. One of my most hilarious memories is following guys at the tractor pulls with my friends, and being too shy to talk to them. I still laugh when I think about that.  We must have been quite a sight!
Age 16 came with the much coveted driver's license and the responsibility of my first real job. I loved being able to drive places, but hated having to be home before 11. Although let's be realistic, I was usually asleep by that time anyways.

17 came with graduating from high school a year early and starting college. The summer after I graduated contained a two week trip out west. I flew over the Grand Canyon and hiked down into it. I rode to the top of Pikes Peak on a cog railroad. I climbed rocks in Garden of the Gods. And I got to live out my childhood Adventures in Odyssey fantasies at the Focus on the Family headquarters in Colorado Springs. Later that summer, I got to be a nanny to two little girls who drove me crazy at times, but who I absolutely adore. In the fall, I started my freshman year of college at Penn State University - Mont Alto campus.

When I was 18, I switched my major from business to Occupational Therapy. I started working at a daycare. I celebrated five years of helping with Royal Family Kids' Camp, and my first year being a counselor. What a lesson in grace I learned!

At age 19, I had my first boyfriend and my first break up. Some hurt, but lots of lessons learned. In June, I traveled down south and explored New Orleans with my brother Caleb. I swam in the Gulf of Mexico (and got severely sunburned), toured through a swamp, and tent camped between the ghetto and a rail yard. That was an amazing trip. It whetted my appetite for even more adventure!

Now, at 20 minus a day, I am amazed at how fast the years have flown. But even more joyously, I look ahead to all the things God has planned for my future. This summer I plan on walking in commencement, traveling on a missions trip to Alaska, doing fieldwork, and watching my little camper graduate from camp!

Psalm 34:3 says, "Proclaim Yahweh's greatness with me; let us exalt His name together!"

Comments