The Boyfriend Dilemma


            Oftentimes I get asked if I have a boyfriend. When I reply “no,” the response that follows is usually the question “Why not? Don’t you want one?!” or the pitying response of, “I’m sorry.” So I’ve been thinking lately about this and I’ve decided to compile a list of the top reasons I don’t want to be in a relationship right now.

            Here are my top reasons:

 

-Many guys don’t have the level of ambition and the clear goals for their lives that I have. That’s not to say they will never develop it, but I don’t want to hold them back from figuring out their lives, and I don’t want them to hold me back from my goals and dreams.

 

-I don’t have time for a relationship right now, and quite honestly, I don’t want to make time for one right now either. I want to be able to focus solely on school, graduation, and the beginning of my career.

 

-Having a boyfriend does not define who I am. It does not make me a better or a worse person. It does not make me more loved or unloved. No matter what, I am a daughter of the one true King.

 

-I don’t have a peace about being in a relationship right now. I want to keep focusing on strengthening my relationship with Jesus.

 

            There is an African proverb that I love. It says, “If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together.” I’m in a season of going fast. That’s the calling I have for this season of my life. How long this season will be, I don’t know. It will probably be at least a year, but it may be several years.

            I am not saying all of this or not dating because I want attention or don’t want attention. It is just my choice for this season of my life. I want to focus on other goals in my life.

            I’m still a girl who dreams of one day being married and having my own family (lots of kids of course!!). I’m still a girl who sings love songs at the top of my lungs. I’m still a girl who loves cheesy romantic movies and books. I don’t hate being single on Valentine’s Day. In fact, I find it hilarious to read all the sappy things people say. And last of all, I am not jealous of people in relationships. I was in a relationship and I had fun and learned a lot. But I don’t regret either the relationship or the decision to end it.
           

            My whole point of this post is to say Enjoy Life where you are – whether in a relationship or not. Love Jesus. Love yourself. Love others.

Comments