Rearview Mirrors

Driving is a common occurrence throughout my day and week as I commute to school, work, and wherever else I need to go. Many times I find myself getting caught up in looking in my rearview mirrors at things behind me - "Is that a cop?" *quick speed check* "Woah! That person is TOTALLY tailgating me! Maybe I should slam on my brakes!" *resist road rage.*

Many times as I look through my rearview mirrors, I don't pay attention to what is going on in front of me - almost running red lights. slamming on brakes. nearly veering off the road. I get so caught up with that is going on behind me that I don't focus on what's in front of me.


On the flip side, sometimes it's easy to look way ahead at the road, and not right in front of me. I miss deer standing along side the road, I don't see kids playing in a yard close by, I don't see the beautiful sunset, because I'm too focused on the road ahead.

One day I was pondering this after I had caught myself staring off into the mirror, and suddenly it hit me that this is a perfect metaphor for life. Sometimes I get so intensely focused on what happened in the past -choices I've made, people I've dealt with, frustrations - that I don't focus on what's right in front of me. And sometimes I focus so far ahead - how will I ever get through fieldwork? will I graduate from school? will I be prepared enough for life? - that I don't focus on the tasks I have now. I have to remind myself that by focusing on the school projects at the present moment help prepare me for SCARY Fieldwork Level II.

One step at a time! Staying focused on the road directly in front of me and not behind me or too far ahead - that is the way life happens well!

Psalm 37:23
"A man’s steps are established by the Lord, and He takes pleasure in his way."

Comments