Suck Ups, Jane Austen, and the Perfect Man

"Alex Knightley is the best. I want one." said a text from one of my best friends.

This was in reference to the YouTube show "Emma Approved" which is a modern-day telling of Jane Austen's literary classic "Emma." (If you have time to be addicted, you should check out this "Emma Approved").

This got me thinking about guys and girls. How many times have you seen, or perhaps experienced, people trying to morph themselves into their significant other. They automatically think that because they like someone, they have to like everything that the other person likes.

I get frustrated when guys or friends or anyone really, think that to please me they have to carbon copy themselves to my likes and dislikes. A lot of times in "sucking up" to me, people don't realize that all I want them to be is themselves.

Another thing I've noticed is that people are sometimes afraid to fight. People that know me know that I have no problem expressing my feelings. This hasn't come naturally for me though. I had to, and still have to sometimes, force my feelings out. I don't want to be married to someone who is afraid to express themselves around me and who just wants to appease me. Even though I am opinionated, I'm not always right.

In thinking about this, I thought about my favorite Jane Austen books - "Pride and Prejudice" and "Emma" and the main men in them - Mr. Darcy (P&P) and Mr. Knightley (Emma).

The thing I love the most about these two men is that they are as equally outspoken as their women. They don't hesitate to speak their minds, their feelings, and when they think their women are in the wrong. They argue. They are not afraid to admit when they are wrong. This in turn creates passionate relationships.


This is the kind of marriage I want. An honest, loving, and incredibly passionate one.

Just my random Food for Thought for the night. :)

Comments