Crashes and God's Goodness

Sometimes, well actually a lot of times, satan tries to destroy good things. Powerful things.
So it went today.

It was youth Sunday at church. I was dancing with some of the teen girls. My sister was preparing to talk about what Jesus showed her through her battle with an eating disorder.

The morning started off pretty well. We got off to a normal start. Dressed for church. It was windy and snowy outside. My sister and I got down there early to practice the dance on the stage. My brother Micah came down and practiced with us because he was going to be playing Jesus in the dance. We practiced for a half an hour and then we took a break because everyone was doing well at it. My dad came in and asked Micah to run home quickly and get some stuff for him. So Micah ran home to get his friend who was staying with us and the items Dad needed. I just mingled with people at church - talking and laughing.

About a minute before church was supposed to start, my dad comes over to my mom and I and said "Micah's been in a car accident. He totaled the car." I felt all of the air go out of my lungs as I gasped. "Are him and Josh okay?" I asked. Dad said they were fine just shaken up and that he was going to go be with them waiting for the tow truck.

I sat through worship, not knowing how we were going to pull off the dance since Micah played a crucial role in it and he didn't want to come to church after the accident. My mom looked at me and said "We can't let satan win by you not dancing. I'll do it. Just tell me what I have to do." I quickly tried to explain to her the part. Then we were set to dance. Mom went through her part too fast (although you would never know it) as I quickly improvised. I guess years of dance training do come in handy - Never stop moving on stage. The dance went well and I just praised Jesus.

My sister's talk went amazingly. It was definitely anointed. A lot of people were very touched and I managed not to cry during it.

It wasn't until after church that my dad told us the details of the accident. The roads were slick as Micah was driving back to church. He went around a turn and started sliding. So then he turned the wheel but it overcompensated, driving them into an embankment where they went sideways on two wheels before crashing at the bottom. Micah and Josh said later that they thought for sure that the car was going to flip and they were going to die. They very well could have. But we know that angels were around the car protecting them. There were several other accidents today in our area...one fatal and another one with three people flown out. I just thank God that it wasn't them.

Like I was talking about with them, movies and stories make it seem like things happen in an instant. And I agree that they do, but in that moment, you watch everything being played out in slow motion. When I lost control of my car driving home from school one day, I wasn't texting or messing with my radio. One second I was in control, and the next second I was sliding toward an embankment where a big old tree sat at the bottom. Those few seconds were the longest of my life. I knew that there wasn't anything I could do. I didn't know if I would hit the tree and be seriously injured. If my car would be drivable. I just started praying for protection as I slide down toward the tree. I missed the tree by a foot that day.

It just goes to show you that you never know what is going to happen. But Jesus does and He protected the guys.

I apologize for this post being a little scattered and not up to my usual writing par. It's just been an emotionally nerve-wracking day.

But GOD IS GOOD.

Comments