I Was Created "For Such a Time..."


            Yesterday there was a bomb threat at my college. The police took care of it and no one was hurt thankfully. But it started on Twitter with a tweet that said, “I have no friends here. I’m a loner. I’m plotting to take the gates down.” First off, I want to say that in no way do I agree with this or think it was right or anything. But when I was thinking about it today, I couldn’t help but think how sad it is that someone would feel so unloved and rejected. I struggle with feeling rejected, but I don’t want to kill or hurt people.

            When I was little, all I heard was “Wait until you get to college. You will make so many good friends there and you will love it.” Well, being in college, I can honestly say, “Yeah, clearly everyone else has had a different experience than I have.” I wouldn’t say that I’m friendless at school. I’m not. I have several friends. But overall, I pretty much just feel awkward and out of place among my peers. Even being involved in Bible study can be rough, because I still feel out of place there. The girls hang with the girls and the guys hang with the guys, and then there is me. I hang with myself. I get tired of always being the one who has to reach out to other people. A lot of times I feel that people don’t understand me or they just think I’m weird or different or awkward.

            As I was driving home from Bible study tonight, I was thinking about all of this and just feeling really frustrated. And all of a sudden, a verse phrase popped into my head –“For such a time as this.” I couldn’t remember at first what part of the Bible that came from and then I remembered that is what Mordecai tells Esther when he is trying to convince her to go before the king and save her people.

            I can only imagine that Esther must have felt that she didn’t fit in either. All the other Jewish girls were probably jealous of her being chosen by the king and it probably was very difficult for her to get used to palace life. Even though she was married to the king, she couldn’t just go to him. Yet, in the right moment, when she knows that only she can save her people, she risks death and goes before the king.

            I do not know what my purpose in life is other than to obey and follow God. When the time is right, I believe He will show me what I was created for. Then I will be able to say, “For such a time is this.”

 

“If you keep silent at this time, liberation and deliverance will come to the Jewish people from another place, but you and your father’s house will be destroyed. Who knows, perhaps you have come to your royal position for such a time as this.” – Esther 4:14

Comments