Edge of the Cliff

I've arrived in Washington.

This is the phrase that both excites me and terrifies me.

It means that as the days, hours, and minutes tick by, I walk closer and closer to the edge of the cliff.

It means that in less than 59 hours, I will be starting my internship working in a gero-psychiatric facility.

When we were driving into the Spokane area, I could feel my stomach clenching in nervousness. I closed my eyes and tried to slowly breathe. In and Out.

We found the hospital campus and drove around on it. I saw building that looked like asylum buildings. And for a minute I panicked. But as we got closer, I realized that those buildings aren't used anymore. I located the building I will be working in and I was very relieved to see that it was a normal, brick building. Honestly, it looked like a "normal" nursing home. I saw the house I will live in. A large brick house, a little on the run down side, but you know it was beautiful in its day. Deer and turkeys openly roam the campus and trees are everywhere.

The house overlooks the lake. Seeing the campus calmed me. It gave me a picture in my mind. I know where I am going. 

It's still hard to relax with all of the questions running through my mind. Where am I going to get groceries? What if I need to go into Spokane? How am I going to get to the airport in July? Will I make friends? Will I get into my groove on fieldwork and know what I'm doing?

But I know that when I step off the cliff, there will be a safety net. Things will work out. They always do.

I found a church that I can't wait to go to. Lake City Assembly of God. I am praying that I will meet good people there. That some older couple might "adopt" me or something. I know it sounds silly, but these are real feelings I have.

If I somehow manage to make no friends, I will still have the lake, and the rocks, and the trees. And most, and best, of all, I will have Jesus.

And He promises me He has a plan for me.

Psalm 37:23-24
"A man's steps are established by the Lord, and He takes pleasure in his way. Though he falls, he will not be overwhelmed, because the Lord holds his hand."

Psalm 143:8-10
"Let me experience
Your faithful love in the morning,
for I trust in You.
Reveal to me the way I should go
because I long for you.
Rescue me from my enemies, Lord;
I come to You for protection.
Teach me to do Your will
For You are my God.
May Your gracious Spirit
Lead me on level ground."

Isaiah 26:3
"You will keep the mind that is dependent on You in perfect peace, for it is trusting in You."


In addition to verses I've been reading and committing to memory, I am also encouraged by uplifting quotes.

Here are a few quotes that have encouraged me lately:
"You don't have time to be timid...you must be bold, daring." - Lumiere (Beauty and the Beast)

"It always seems impossible until it's done." - Nelson Mandela

"Your journey has molded you for the greater good. It was exactly what it needed to be. Don't think you've lost time. It took each and every situation you have encountered to bring you to the now. And now is Right on Time." - Asha Tyson

"Life begins at the end of your comfort zone." - Neale Donald Walsch
Garden of the Gods, Colorado 2011

Comments