Exploring Spokane!

Before I say anything else, I would like to make it clear that my patients are all on their medicine. I really enjoy working with and talking to them. Because the medicine helps the chemical imbalance in their brains, they are often able to function as well as anybody else. The people I’m referring to below, are most likely not on their medication. In addition, I am not making fun or thinking less about people with mental illnesses. Mental illnesses are a serious and debilitating problem. After this excursion, I completely understand why there are so many mental hospitals and group homes in the state of Washington.

Our adventure into Spokane started the minute we go on the bus this morning. At one of the bus stops, two guys boarded. One was a big guy in a Hawaiian shirt and with a ponytail, was carrying a huge case of make-up. The other guy was just one of those people that you know immediately is different. Chelsea, my housemate, looked at me and whispered, “He’s definitely undiagnosed.” Right after he sat down, he started talking to the other guy. He said, “I have PTSD and Borderline Personality Disorder.” I looked at Chelsea and whispered, “Or maybe not undiagnosed. That explains a lot.” For the entire ride, he would not shut up. At one point he started cursing and so the bus driver yelled at him. It was a long hour ride.

Water fountain to play in!

Falls in the Spokane River

Me and the totem pole

When we got off at the plaza bus station in Spokane, we walked around the riverfront, which is absolutely gorgeous. There are waterfalls everywhere. We stared down into the turbulent and foaming water for a while as we stood on the suspension bridges. There is an awesome park with lots of grass. I love grass. Random people were milling around and lying in the grass. We walked all over the park. Then we went to a fantastic bookstore. (I love bookstores too). I found a book of all 6 of Jane Austen’s books! I have only read three of them and she is one of my very favorite authors. I also got my Spokane postcards. After spending a fair amount of time in the store, we started walking down a random street. We found a place called “Main Market: A Food Co-op” that sold fresh food and organic products. It was amazing!! That was around 11 or so, so we decided to buy our lunch there and eat in the park. I bought a delicious turkey/bacon Panini, a gluten free chocolate chip cookie, and some cold white peach tea. Chelsea got a salad from the “make your own salad” bar, a cinnamon brown sugar pastry, and a cold root beer. We walked back to the park and sat down and ate while we watched people. Little kids ran everywhere in the water fountain, laughing and playing. Parents watched, and occasionally played with their children.

 
When we were done eating, we walked over to Looff’s Carrousel, a carousel that has been in the park since 1909. Rides are $2 a piece and you pay for them with tokens – one token a ride. As we were each getting ready to buy a token, some lady came up and handed us 6 tokens! She said they were leaving and didn’t need them. It was so sweet of her! So we each got three tokens and went around twice. Then I kept the last token for my journal, and she gave the other token to another person. We got ice cream. She bought a waffle cone and it was HUGE! I’m thankful I stuck with the kid cone. That was plenty. They make ginormous scoops.


Chelsea on her horse

Selfie with the giraffe (aka Miley Cyrus)

Chelsea's huge ice cream cone!

After the carousel, we decided we were getting tired and were ready to head home. So we went to wait a half hour for the bus. As we were waiting…the people around us got even more interesting. When we got on the bus, a lot of people got on, including kids high and reeking of pot. I hate that smell. It was also a long ride. When we finally got off our bus stop, we had to drag ourselves the mile walk home because we were so drained from the people. Now we are resting.

Overall, I loved the park. Parks make me so happy, no matter where they are. When I go into cities, I look for the parks. It was a beautiful day outside. Lying in the grass, sitting under the shade of trees, listening to waterfalls – that’s my kind of fun. As for the city, the market and book store were really cool. The people were draining, and I’m glad to be sitting on my bed as I write this.

My advice for exploring:
      1. Find parks. They are usually free or cheap and they are beautiful and peaceful.
2    2. Don’t go alone. I was so happy to have Chelsea with me. It would have been way more awkward if I was alone.
3    3. Wear sunglasses. You can less conspicuously watch people. They can’t see your eyes, and then they don’t talk to you as much.
4    4. Be aware of your surroundings. Know what and who is behind you, beside you, in front of you.
5    5. Trust your gut. If you have bad feelings about something, don’t do it.
6    6. Take a good book with you. Whether you are waiting for/riding on the bus or sitting in the park, there is always time to whip out a good book! Right now I’m reading about book about how the Nancy Drew series came to be.


Explore! Create adventures! Find adventures! Eat good food! Relax under trees! Enjoy life!

Comments