He WILL Fulfill His Purpose for Me

This weekend I’ve been struggling a little bit. I’ve been struggling with my purpose at this stage of my life.

Don’t get me wrong, I love being in Washington and on fieldwork and just learning so much. I think Occupational Therapy is absolutely awesome and I know that it’s where God has me right now. But sometimes I ask myself, or God, “But what about my other dreams?!”

This past week I was visiting with one of the newer patients and she was telling me about her life. She looked me straight in the eyes and asked “What is your goal in life?” or something like that about what I wanted to do. And before I could rustle up an answer about OT, I just blurted out, “To be a wife and a mother.” I think it surprised me very much in that moment. Even though it’s very true, I sometimes feel like if I don’t hold it close enough to my heart, I will lose sight of it and just be encompassed by my career. From the core of my being, right after serving Jesus, I’ve always desired to be a wife and mama.

If I could ask God any question right now at this moment, I would ask Him if I’m going to get married. I don’t need to know when. I don’t need to know who I’m going to marry. I just want to know IF I am. I don’t think that He placed desires in people for no reason, but sometimes the uncertainty is really difficult for me. My human emotions want an answer to find peace, but my soul KNOWS that I don’t need an answer to have peace if I keep my focus on God.

The phrase that kept coming to me was “He will fulfill His purpose for me.” Admittedly, I can memorize verses, but have a hard time remembering where the verse is found. Thank God for Biblegateway.com. I typed in that phrase and these two verses came up.

Psalm 138:8 - “The Lord will fulfill His purpose for me. Lord, Your love is eternal; do not abandon the work of Your hands.”

Psalm 57:1-2 - “Be gracious to me, God, be gracious to me, for I take refuge in You. I will seek refuge in the shadow of Your wings until danger passes. I call to God Most High, to God who fulfills His purpose for me.”

Those verses were such great reminders to me. That the Lord has a purpose for me. That He knows what He is doing. That He sees the whole puzzle while I only see a tiny piece, or at the most, a few pieces. 

And just in case the phrase “He will fulfill His purpose for me” didn’t sink in enough, many other verses came to my mind.

Psalm 37:23-24 – “A [wo]man’s steps are established by the Lord, and [s]he takes pleasure in [her] way. Though [s]he falls, [s]he will not be overwhelmed, because the Lord holds [her] hand.”

Psalm 143:8 – “Let me experience Your faithful love in the morning, for I trust in You. Reveal to me the way I should go because I long for You.”

Psalm 27:13-14 – “I am certain that I will see the Lord’s goodness in the land of the living. Wait for the Lord; be strong and courageous. Wait for the Lord.”


Wait, I shall. On Christ the solid rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand!

Ohhh, and a fantastic quote I found by Francis Chan - "Not being able to fully understand God is frustrating, but it is ridiculous for us to think that we have the right to limit God to something we are capable of understanding." 

Last update: I JUST opened my Jesus Calling book and the last line of the writing for today says, "In My presence you can face uncertainty with perfect Peace." I love it!

Comments