Love Language - Learning More about Myself


I have often wondered what my love language is, because if being an occupational therapy assistant student (whew, that’s a mouthful!) has taught me anything, it’s that I don’t like people in my bubble and that I am uncomfortable with most people touching me. Obviously, I am working on getting over this when I’m at work because I’ll need to be touching people constantly and using “therapeutic use of touch.”

Before I take an online version of Gary Chapman’s test, I am going to guess what I am. Normally I know myself very well. The choices are Words of Affirmation, Acts of Service, Receiving Gifts, Quality Time, and Physical Touch.

Without analyzing anything, the first choice that comes to my head is Words of Affirmation. I’m a big word person – I love to write (obviously), I love to read, I love to talk, and it’s a way to clear out all the thoughts that are crowding in my head.

So now I’m going to take the test. *taking test*

Alright, I took the test. It was kind of a surprise/kind of not. Quality Time was 1 point higher (11) than Words of Affirmation (10). I can see that, because I love spending time with people I care about. When people blow me off, it does hurt me.

On the not surprising side - Acts of Service, Receiving Gifts, and Physical Touch (from highest score to lowest).

I’m not surprised by those results for the following reasons:

Acts of Service – I am independent and like doing things myself. However, I definitely don’t complain when guys hold the doors open for me because that shows signs of a true man.

Receiving Gifts – unless it’s for a certain occasion or one of my close girl friends, it just feels awkward. Getting rid of gifts from guys that used to like me is creepy weird and at the utmost point of awkward. (I will admit though, I still wear my “Soft Kitty” TBBT shirt that someone gave me. It’s The Big Bang Theory, let’s be realistic.)

Physical Touch – Of course this scored the lowest. I don’t mind hugging people, or holding hands, etc. I just don’t like when people assume that they can get in my space.

This has been an enlightening test and sort of entertaining when I reflect upon myself.

If you want to take the test, here is the link - http://www.5lovelanguages.com/. It doesn’t take long and is neat to see what your love language is and the love languages of people around you. It can teach you how to better love friends, spouses, family members, and other loved ones.

Comments