OUT WEST ADVENTURE

Foreword: Now that my family is home safely, I can post the blog I wrote about the trip out west. I know it's long. I tried breaking it into days so it would flow better.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ah, the travels!

I’ve been all over the upper U.S. on this trip and now we are driving in Montana as we head to Medical Lake, Washington where I will work for 8 weeks. I probably won’t post this until a few days later though. Some of this is excerpts from my journal, in addition to extra comments I decide to write.
Excuse, or get over, the randomness. Bumpy RV rides shake up the brain. J

To recap my trip thus far, Sunday, May 11th was spent in Chicago – The Windy City (see previous post).

Monday, May 12, 2014
From there we went to South Dakota on Monday. Monday was a rough day. Everyone was fighting and in bad moods. Our first stop was at the Corn Palace in Mitchell, which was very cheesy. We only stayed there about 15 minutes before we headed out.
Cheesy Corn Palace

We drove across the state until we got to the Badlands, where we promptly accidentally pulled off too far on the road and got stuck in the sod. Some good ole’ country boys were driving by so they pulled over to help. At one point we had a Dodge, Chevy, and a Ford all there trying to help! Alas, the RV was stuck. So we had to call a wrecker from Rapid City (about an hour away) to come haul us out. While waiting for the wrecker to get there, I laid on one of the back beds and read. My brothers went hiking in the Badlands. The Badlands look like the Grand Canyon kind of, but they are made of dirt not rock. Eventually the wrecker came and got us out and we drove down the road and picked up the boys from where they were hiking.
                                                                       The stuck RV

                                                                       The Badlands

We got into Wall, South Dakota later that evening and stayed in a cute campground. I got my first shower of the trip – that was the highlight of my day. Ball caps and deodorant only go so far. It was nice to just stand in the hot water and wash off. Then I went to bed and shivered all night because the temperatures were down to 20 degrees or so.

By this point, my bad first impression of South Dakota was only getting worse. I don’t know how Laura Ingalls Wilder did it! It was cold, rainy, and windy. And flat – so, so flat. I was missing the mountains majorly.

Tuesday, May 13, 2014
In the morning we walked from the campground over to the Wall Drug store. It was also cheesy, but we took some funny pictures in the “Wall Drug Backyard.” Mom got 5¢ coffee, so she was pretty happy! I bought my postcards and a funny redneck birthday card.


From Wall we headed to Keystone, SD to see Mt. Rushmore. Mt. Rushmore was definitely my favorite thing in South Dakota. Seeing the stone mountain among green pine trees and a bright blue sky was gorgeous! It was incredible to think about how they carved it so long ago.

There was also a bit of excitement at the park. As we were taking pictures with Mt. Rushmore in the background, we noticed a person up touching Lincoln’s beard. Thinking that it was a little odd because we didn’t think people were allowed up there, we started watching the guy. After a while we walked down the trail to see if there was a place you were allowed to go up. Dad was still up at the top and he called down to tell us that a ranger was coming down. A whole host of rangers came and started to go up the mountains. Caleb, of course, was wishing it was him up on the mountain touching Mt. Rushmore so he was trying to look as suspicious as possible. I don’t know if they ever caught the guys. But we left soon after and headed to Wyoming.

When we arrived in Douglas, Wyoming that evening we met up with my good friend Nathan who is out there working on a cattle/horse ranch. We all went out to eat at a super delicious Mexican restaurant called La Costa.

For being decorated very tackily, the food was amazing and we talked to the owner, José a little bit. When he found out we were from PA, he brought out this piece of paper and said “We are opening a restaurant in this town, do you know where it’s at?” And when we looked, we started laughing because it said “Chambersburg” on it. So we told him that it was very close to us and we go there often, and when he opens the restaurant, we will go there with friends. It was just a really funny coincidence.

We also talked to some guys at a table beside us about traveling, food, and all kinds of other things. If the locals hang out at a place, you know it’s a good spot!!

It was wonderful to see Nathan again. I haven’t seen him in almost 2 years! My brothers had tons of questions for him about ranch life. Micah said he would love it except he couldn’t do the whole “getting up early” thing.

Side note: José’s a Steelers fan…and I thought I escaped all of those when we went out west!
Us with Nathan...Micah got cut out

Wednesday, May 14, 2014
We got up early and drove across Wyoming. Not a whole lot to see along the way. Wyoming’s terrain is a lot like South Dakota’s – according to the locals “no trees that weren’t planted” and hills, but generally flat. I talked Dad into going through the Grand Tetons, and man, was that a fantastic idea. I didn’t like Wyoming until I got to the Grand Tetons – then I fell in love. They are absolutely breathtaking. Blue, icy water. Tall, snowy mountains. Rocky shorelines.


Rachel and I went biking/rollerskating around the road for a while. The weather was about 48 degrees. Near perfect in my book because I can wear jeans and a sweatshirt. There was snow all over the ground. I could definitely live somewhere like that. I love the mountains.

Wednesday evening and Thursday, May 15, 2014
We arrived in Yellowstone Wednesday evening and settled in. The boys went trying to “bear hunt” and Rachel and I went biking to look for bears. None of us saw any sadly. But we slept and then went on a Yellowstone marathon Thursday. First we drove through some hot springs and stopped to take pictures of the first buffalo we saw. In some parts of the park, there were 3+ feet of snow!

Second, we stopped at the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone. We took pictures of some waterfalls. Dad and I climbed up this one spot and looked down upon the gorge and the falls. It was so pretty!! Caleb and Rachel climbed up this high rock and looked down over the cliff. As a sister, I was terrified for them.

Then we went up to the north side of the park to Mammoth Hot Springs. I was expecting something cool, not a cinder pit. That is literally what it looked like. It was an ugly wasteland because of the chemicals in the hot springs coming up and covering everything. And the springs weren’t even springs…sometimes there was a trickle of water and sometimes there wasn’t. There was this one called “Cupid Springs” and Mom and I walked over to it, and there was nothing but the ashy-ness. I made a joke about “love running dry.” Corny, but we got a good laugh out of it. We spent a long time at Mammoth…way too long for it being as boring as it was. We did get a good bike ride and walk in. I guess that’s something.
Cinder pit look-alike

On the way back down in the park, we stopped at Norris Geysers. Mom, Dad, and I got out and walked down through the one part. While it was wasteland looking, there were actual random pools of boiling water so it was neat to look down into those. The bacteria made them all different colors – bright blues, rusty oranges, long black hair-like ones, mossy green. It is a very interesting geological place – if you’re into that kind of thing.

Around 6pm, we got to the part of the park where Old Faithful is. Old Faithful goes approximately every 90 minutes. So we had to wait an hour until it went again. It was super chilly as we waited and I forgot to grab my jacket. Thankfully Caleb let me borrow his. It felt like forever until the geyser started spurting a little water, but then it would stop. But finally it “erupted” into the sky. It was pretty cool. It’s not every day you see water shooting 106-180 feet into the air. I wouldn’t say it was the best thing ever though. We wanted to take a family picture with Old Faithful behind us (which included stepping into the “Do Not Step” zone). So whenever it starting going, we quickly jumped down and set the camera’s timer. Needless to say, it was an Old Faithful Photo Fail. We couldn’t stop laughing about it. Micah is going to try to photo edit it so we have Old Faithful behind us.
Old Faithful

After Old Faithful, we went into the RV and Mom got supper ready. Dad, the boys, and I walked up to this deep pool called Morning Glory. It was pretty incredible to look down into it. It’s so deep. A huge vat of boiling water.
Morning Glory hot pool

We left the park later that night and drove to the town of West Yellowstone, where we stayed the night and pulled out in the morning.

Overall, Yellowstone was alright, but not my favorite National Park. The scenery wasn’t overly pretty to me. I was sad that I didn’t see any grizzly bears or wolves, but I got to see buffalo and coyotes. It’s incredible to think that Yellowstone is one of the world’s biggest and most dangerous volcanos – a “super volcano.” I can’t even imagine it in the summer with all the people…it must be an absolute zoo. I would come back though, even if just to see the wildlife and hike.

I got a very cool mug that says “Advice from a Wolf – Stay on Track” on the front. On the back it says “Trust your instincts. Be at home in nature. Keep your den clean. Howl with your friends. Be a leader. Pack life with good memories!” I love it! It describes me, and who/what I aspire to be, very well!

Friday, May 16, 2014
Caleb’s 19th birthday is today! We are on the way to Medical Lake, Washington. Montana and Idaho are pretty states to drive through. Lots of mountains and pine trees. We didn’t do too much today, just a lot of driving and I’ve spent most of the time writing about this trip and planning for my next trip.

Wrapping up
I probably won’t say too much more about the trip since we are going to settle down in Medical Lake for a few days. But overall it was a fun trip. It still makes me want to travel and explore new places and meet new people.

I saw so many little kids, especially little boys, while we were traveling. It makes me excited for when I have my own kids and can take them to all sorts of places and on all sorts of adventures!

Life is good, traveling makes it better!!

Comments