THE DAY BEFORE FIELDWORK

I am all settled in Washington. I am living in a big brick house. It is definitely old inside but I have my room all organized. I have a desk that is perfect for storing my books and supplies. With the help of a bunch of blankets and my sleeping bag, my bed (a hospital bed) is comfortable so I don’t feel like I’m sleeping on camp beds..ha ha!

I went to a wonderful church this morning and everyone was incredibly friendly! I met the youth pastors, and several other church members, and I got a free Latte for being a visitor. They have a cafĂ© there that pretty much rivals Starbucks..yummmm. (I am slowly, slowly starting to like coffee. I still like it “girly” though with sugar and chocolate and flavors.) I definitely want to go to this church while I’m out here. Not only were people so warm, but it was also a confirmation to my soul.

A few months ago, I was feeling frustrated and unsure of a lot of things, and God laid on my heart the verse Esther 4:14 – “Who knows, perhaps you have come to the kingdom for such a time as this.” Mordecai tells Esther this whenever he is trying to convince her to be brave and go before the king, even if it means taking a big risk.

Well, wouldn’t you know that the pastor’s message this morning was on Esther and being courageous. It was perfect because of getting settled in and my parents leaving this afternoon. I had to chuckle because before the service, and older man was talking to me and he said, “God has a sense of humor.” And I agreed, but I agreed even more so after I heard the message.

Unfortunately, we had to leave early so I could met my supervisor and my housemate, get some of my keys (oh my gosh, so many!!), and move my stuff in the house. My supervisor seems very nice, and I know that she will challenge me on fieldwork. I got to see where my work desk will be and a layout of the campus.

It is a little intimidating, but one day at a time, I can do this. I have the tools, the resources, and the knowledge! Tomorrow I have orientation and getting a feel for my job. I get to lead therapy groups (Awesome + scary!!).

As I sit here on my bed writing, I love the fact that outside my window is big lilac bushes, trees, and a blue sky. It’s like my view at home!

Overall, I love Washington so far. The people are really social. I went to the Walmart by Spokane, and a bunch of random people started talking to me. The scenery is rural/small town. AND IT’S NOT RAINY LIKE THE OTHER SIDE OF THE STATE! This makes me so happy because I’m not a rainy person. Oh, I love when it rains and waters the fields, but the day-in-day-out rain is depressing to me. Plus, I don’t have my mud boots with me. Who knows, maybe I’ll move out to the Northwest someday. It’s growing on me. J

So if you read this, PLEASE be praying for me. Working with in mental health is exhausting and I know there will be days where I just want to come home and cry. Please pray that my soul would be restored whenever I am feeling exhausted and worn out. Pray that I am able to go with the flow and be adaptable. Pray that I will love and show love to my patients. Pray that I would laugh and have fun, and enjoy the journey. And last, but not least, pray that I would grow in my relationship with Jesus through everything. 


“Haven’t I commanded you; be strong and courageous? Do not be terrified or discouraged, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” – Joshua 1:9 (Another verse that has been coming to mind a lot lately.)


Comments