Fighting the Image War on Women

"So God created man in His own image; He created him in the image of God; He created them male and female." - Genesis 1:27

I enjoy people watching. I love looking at peoples' hands. But most of all, I love observing women and how different we all look! Wide hips, narrow hips, big boobs, little boobs, long hair, short hair, blue eyes, green eyes, make up, no make up. The list is endless!

Have you ever met a woman who is completely, 100% content with her body?

We live in a culture that shows airbrushed models or the "perfect, new look." Yes, the culture has certainly created a beauty monster. But the more I talk to women, the more I realize that we create a war against ourselves and each other. Even, and sometimes especially, daughters of the King.

We say things like "no men like hugging bones" and "she is so fat, no one could love her." No matter what size, body shape, clothes, or anything, someone is always unhappy with themselves or with the women around them. Christian women fall into the same trap. I can't tell you the amount of times I've heard women bash their own bodies.

I can't tell you the amount of times I've looked in the mirror and silently berated the acne on my face, the fat on my stomach, the size of my boobs, and the list goes on! I stand there, and instead of focusing on how much I love my smile, how the colors of my eyes change on a daily basis, and how I have great boobs (my opinion, haha), I nitpick at myself until I feel so miserable and unhappy that thoughts of starving myself flow through my mind.

The actress Kate Winslet said something that I absolutely loved, "As a child, I never heard one women say to me 'I love my body.' Not my mother, my elder sister, or my best friend. No one woman has ever said 'I'm so proud of my body.' So I make sure to say it to [my daughter], because a positive outlook has to start at a young age."

Now, I am not saying pig out, have an eating disorder, or anything drastic. I just want to remind women, and myself, that our bodies are a temple of the Lord (1 Corinthians 6:19). We need to take care of them and treat them with care, both physically and through our words.

I have quickly come to some conclusions.
1. Satan is an absolute liar and he will try to get in your mind and convince you that you are not worthy.
2. No matter what you look like, you are beautiful. I am beautiful.
3. Compliment the women around you. Don't be a willing participant in the war on women.
4. If you want to get healthier, do it.

Ways I've been trying to get healthier:
-exercising
-drinking at least 64oz of water a day (2 of my Nalgene bottle!)
-limiting the amount of sugar I consume
-eating more fruits and veggies

I fail at these daily, and sometimes I only work on one a day, but I am trying because I want to feel better about myself, I want to feel healthier, and have more energy.

My challenge (or challenges) is to love yourselves and if you aren't feeling good about yourself, pick one thing to work on!

My last piece of advice is always act confident, even if you don't feel confident. When you walk into a room with your shoulders back and your head held high, people will treat you better than if you are all hunched over and afraid to make eye contact.

Just some thoughts from a woman who struggles everyday, but keeps refocusing on who My Creator made me to be!

Comments