Lessons Learned


I haven’t posted for a few days just because I haven’t really known what to write about, but I thought I’d give an update anyways.

So as you might guess, working in a mental health hospital is never boring. Here are five things I’ve learned so far.

1.       Being Positive is a choice.

There are a lot of stressful situations at work, but also in life sometimes. I can decide whether I want to go in there with a smile on my face or whether I want to be angry.


2.       Focus on the good parts

It’s very easy to focus on the bad parts of the day. Getting cursed at. Getting treated like a 5-year-old by Mental Health Technicians. But it is SO MUCH MORE REWARDING to think about the people I made smile for a few minutes. The games of checkers I’ve played with older men. The lady who calls me “my little Angel” every time she sees me. The hugs I get from women who curse constantly at most of the other staff.  There are no “bad days”…just bad moments.


3.       I can make a difference.

Sometimes it’s frustrating when I don’t feel like anything I do is changing something. But if I make a difference for one moment, it is worth it.


4.       It’s okay to sit back for a few minutes and breathe.

Sometimes I sit in my office for lunch. All by myself. It’s delightful. I relish the quiet in those moments. Sometimes in order to do my best, I have to take moments for myself. To breathe. To refocus myself on Jesus.


5.       Sleep is essential.

8 hours of sleep is a must if I want to be on my A-game. When I want to do my best (which I should all of the time), I know I can’t do it when I’m lacking sleep. I get frustrated and irritable so much more easily.

 

6.       Laughter really is the best medicine!

My roommate Chelsea and I talk about our day as we walk home from work, and sometimes we just have to laugh so hard. Not because we don’t feel sorry for people, or anything else, but it’s like the saying “If you don’t laugh, you cry”. And some days, we just choose to laugh at our experiences because it can be hard. But it is so very rewarding. One of my favorite stories is the tiny little lady, who is always coming up with new illnesses, insisted “Honey you don’t understand. I have a coma in my arm!”


7.       Above all else, I’ve learned to stay focused on Jesus no matter what.

I couldn’t be who I am and Shine the Light, if I didn’t love Him. In moments when I can’t possibly take anymore, I pray and He refreshes my soul.

I promise I will try to write better later in the week, but I haven’t been thinking of anything too creative this week as my mind is preoccupied on my group therapy program that I start next week!

Comments