If I hadn't...

As I'm on my way to Portland, I have time to reflect over the past few weeks. They have been hectic, but amazing. When I first heard about the opportunity to work in Washington in a psychiatric hospital,  I was fascinated.  When I accepted the position, I was still excited but also nervous.

Now I can honestly say it is GOOD to do things outside your comfort zone.

If I hadn't come out here, I wouldn't have met my wonderful Medical Lake church family, my fantastic coworkers who are passionate about their work and their patients, and I would have missed out on my patients who challenge me, make me laugh, greet me with "give me a *expletive* hug" and make cards telling me how much they will miss me.

I wouldn't have met my roommates, who are willing to go on adventures and car trips. Who take turns with me cooking supper. Who crack me up with their senses of humor and their love for comic books!

I wouldn't have learned the true importance of a smile. That it can open pathways and doors into lives and conversations.

I wouldn't have learned to rely completely on my faith as I venture into places and situations that are uncomfortable at first. As I prayed for finances for school and life as I wasn't working for pay.

If I hadn't come out here, I wouldn't have been able to take on some of the most challenging patients at work. I wouldn't have had my mind grown and stretched as I thought up treatment plans to challenge them, yet help them. I wouldn't have been able to build rapport with them by learning when to speak up and when to quit taking things personally!

I wouldn't have fallen in love with the lakes, rivers, mountains, and fields of Washington.  I wouldn't have explored Seattle and Spokane, and now Portland.

I wouldn't have seen coyotes, turkeys, and deer on my walk to work. Or listened to the Hoot Owl outside my window at night.

I wouldn't have realized that I wouldn't feel homesick being across the country.

Or learned to let things go that I have no control over.

I wouldn't have learned how to have a completely frustrating day with my 1:1 patient and be able to come in the next day and be my normal,  cheerful self, as though nothing had happened.

There are a hundred more lessons I've learned and moments I've come to appreciate.

As I prepare to work my final 3 days out here in Washington, I will enjoy the mome ts. Take time to breathe. And go to sleep each night knowing that I did the best I could do for the day.

Over the next week I will pack up and prepare for my trip to Alaska, as I get ready for the next leg of my summer journey and my life journey. Pray that I will hold onto the peace Jesus gives. That I will speak the words he wants me to speak. That my hands will do the work to bring the glory to Him.

"Whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God."


Comments