21 Things in 21 Years



In honor of my 21st birthday today (I'm torn between "oh my gosh, I am only 21?!?" and "How did time go this quickly?!") I thought I would post 21 things about my life thus far.

1. After hating coffee for 20 years, I've just started actually enjoying the taste. Granted, it has to have flavor and sugar in it, but I'm drinking it. (I think it's because it secretly makes me feel like an adult.)

2. I've been to 40 states and I plan on seeing the rest, plus many countries.

3. While everyone complains about the cold and winter, I love it! It makes my senses feel heightened.

4. I can't put on makeup to save my life. (Except mascara...but I have almost poked out my eyeball before.)

5. Advice I was given yesterday by a patient's caregiver: "Go up to a bar near Harvard Law School. Get pregnant. Then file a lawsuit and you are set. Plus, you know your baby will be smart." ....Thank you, but I'd rather not take that advice.

6. Small things make me happy.

7. Being outside is my haven -- the Cathedral of the Great Outdoors.It's where I feel the closest with God. As I hunt, hike, fly.

8. Looking back on the past year, it is amazing to me how many incredible opportunities I had. Working in a psychiatric hospital in Washington state, exploring Seattle and Portland with my roommates, going back to Alaska and having the privilege of spending 2 weeks there in the villages. I can't even imagine how this coming year is going to top it!

9. I am still the outspoken person I've always been. Sometimes I have a little more tact though than I used to. It's a work in progress. And although I'm working on my tact and timing, I love the fact that I speak my mind when necessary.

10. I've been counting down to my 21st birthday, but not for the reason most people do. (Guess who will NOT be waking up with a hangover tomorrow.)

11. Looking back over my life, my passions have pretty much stayed the same: Jesus, kids, people, traveling.

12. The amount of books I've read in my life time would probably blow my mind. Bookstores for the win!!...or maybe not since they suck up my money...

13. Less than 2 months until I'm a Penn State Graduate and a National Board certified Occupational Therapy Assistant! Until I first heard about OT, I never imagined having a job this cool! People. Problem-solving. Creativity.

14. I have a Bucket List miles long! Just a few of the items on it: Go to an Eagles-Cowboys game, skydive, backpack Europe, get my pilot's license.

15. I love adventures. One of my favorite moments of this summer was when I was exploring Seattle with my roommate Chelsea. We had no official plans, we were just walking around the city, and we were standing on a street corner, and I looked at her and said, "It's so cool how we can pick whatever direction we want to go. We don't have a map, we can just explore and do whatever we feel like." It was such an amazing feeling, and that's what life is like in a lot of ways. We are given the free will to make choices. To explore, and to not have to stick to just one boring path.

16. It's so humbling to know that I've made an impact in someone's life. And a lot of the time when people tell me that, I was just being me. I wasn't trying to be anything fancy, just myself.

17. Scripture memory is the best. I can't recall how many times over the past years, verses that I memorized in childhood have come to my mind to encourage me.

18. Trees are one of my favorite things. They are so symbolic to me. The art of branching out, but being rooted.

19. The 1940s and 1950s are some of my favorite decades. The music. The fashion. Everything.

20. I'm addicted to quotes. I think it's the whole written word thing. Seriously though, my Pinterest quote board inspires me so much.

21. The friends I've made, the places I've been, and the memories I have are mind-blowing. I feel so blessed in life. My support system of the people who surround me, are constantly pushing me to new heights. The ability to laugh keeps me sane...even at inappropriate times. And my saviour Jesus protects me and keeps me following His will for me. I am one blessed woman.




Comments