What I Learn from Bicycles

It started with a birthday present…a scarf with bikes on it. I loved it. Then bikes started popping up everywhere. I saw them in magazines, on signs. I have learned not to ignore signs like this, so I did what any normal (ha) 21 year old would do. I started researching the symbolism in bicycles.

On Copenhagenize.com, I found an article titled “Designing Bicycle Symbolism – Towards the Future.” The opening paragraph states, “The Bicycle as a symbol of progress, of renewal, of promising times ahead. This is not a new concept. Indeed it has been around since the invention of the bicycle. Many bicycle posters at end of the 19th century featured promising themes like liberation, progress, freedom.”

During the “women’s right to vote” era, the bicycle became a strong symbol. Women wore pantaloons (shocking, in that time period) as they cycled around the city.
Susan B. Anthony, famed women’s rights leader even made a comment about them, “I think [the bicycle] has done more to emancipate women than any one thing in the world. I rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a bike. It gives her a feeling of self-reliance and independence the moment she takes her seat; and away she goes, the picture of untrammelled womanhood” (The Guardian).

I reflected on the articles I read and thought about why I was drawn to bicycles so much. I think that idea of freedom and progress appeals to me because I’m at that point in my life. Even though I just graduated college and I’m going to be getting a “real job” as a therapist soon, I struggle with the idea of completely settling down. I love to work hard, but I also enjoy traveling and seeing new places and meeting new people. It’s the balance of freedom and progress, both together and separate. A balance that I’m still learning. Probably a balance that I’ll always be learning.

Bicycles are all about moving forward. Enjoying the journey.

I am accumulating more bicycle accessories – a necklace, a bracelet, my scarf. Each time I wear them, I am reminded.

“Life is like riding a bicycle. In order to keep your balance, you must always keep moving.” – Albert Einstein

Sources mentioned in this post:

Comments