One Act

I kind of was in a crappy mood yesterday when I went to work. There wasn’t really a specific reason; it was just one of those days. While I was cutting fruit and doing my “Edible Arrangements” thing, I decided to listen to some of my favorite worship music with the hope that it would get me into a better and more grateful mood.

As I’m working, the phone rang and I picked it up and made small talk with the lady while I took her order. Near the end of our conversations, she said, “I would also like to be greedy and place an order to be delivered to myself.” I jokingly asked if she would like to write a card message to herself. She laughed and said, “I should probably put on there, ‘Don’t be so greedy’” but said no card message was necessary. As I wrapped up the order, she thanked me profusely, and hung up the phone.

During our conversation, she had mentioned living alone. As I thought about it, I decided to try to brighten her day. Quickly, I pulled up the blank card message and typed, “I hope you have a wonderful day! From Elizabeth at Edible Arrangements J.”

Today, (because that’s when we were making the order), we made it and sent it out. Shortly afterwards, the phone rang, and I recognized her name on the caller ID as I picked it up.

“Miss Elizabeth, the orders were perfect. You made my day with your note! I read it and just started smiling! I’d send you an Edible Arrangement for being so wonderful, but since you work there, I’ll have to come up with another way to thank you.”

The whole experience got me thinking –is it really that hard to bless people? To offer a kind word or smile? To help someone carry groceries to their car or to try to make a crying kid laugh while waiting in line? How about calling or writing a friend just to let them know you were thinking about them?
I can’t even count the number of times I have been unexpectedly blessed. From compliments of random strangers. From customers at work calling back or stopping by the store to thank me so much for my help. For the man last week who came to my car and took my shopping cart so it would be one less thing for me to do. Or when a person at Starbucks paid it forward and I got a free drink.

These are the moments that make my days brighter and my smile wider – both on the receiving end and on the giving end. It is a privilege and a blessing to encourage and be kind. You may never know how one small act can affect someone.

Matthew 25:40 says, “And the King will answer them, ‘I assure you: Whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of Mine, you did for Me.’”


Comments