Growing Pains

I'm sitting here sipping hot tea and browsing travel blogs and articles in between searching for traveling job positions.

It's a terrifying moment to be on the cusp of a new adventure, leaving behind college and national board certifications. It's difficult for me to not have a plan. I like plans. I thrive on plans.

Yet, as I was sitting in church Sunday, closing my eyes and listening to worship, they played the song "Oceans"...the song that has become my theme in the past year. All of a sudden, I was refocused back onto Jesus and my prayer for my life, especially at this stage -

"Spirit lead me where my trust is without borders,
let me walk upon the waters,
wherever You would call me.
Take me deeper than my feet could ever wander
and my faith will be made stronger,
in the presence of my Savior."

It takes faith to walk without a plan that I can see. Matthew 14:22-29 talk about Jesus walking on the water. And then Peter following Him. But when Peter looked away from Jesus, he was afraid and he started sinking.

"Walking on the Water
22 Immediately He made the disciples get into the boat and go ahead of Him to the other side, while He dismissed the crowds. 23 After dismissing the crowds, He went up on the mountain by Himself to pray. When evening came, He was there alone. 24 But the boat was already over a mile from land, battered by the waves, because the wind was against them. 25 Around three in the morning, He came toward them walking on the sea. 26 When the disciples saw Him walking on the sea, they were terrified. “It’s a ghost!” they said, and cried out in fear.

27 Immediately Jesus spoke to them. “Have courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid.”

28 “Lord, if it’s You,” Peter answered Him, “command me to come to You on the water.”

29 “Come!” He said.

And climbing out of the boat, Peter started walking on the water and came toward Jesus. 30 But when he saw the strength of the wind, he was afraid. And beginning to sink he cried out, “Lord, save me!”

31 Immediately Jesus reached out His hand, caught hold of him, and said to him, “You of little faith, why did you doubt?” 32 When they got into the boat, the wind ceased. 33 Then those in the boat worshiped Him and said, “Truly You are the Son of God!”"

I love this passage. It is a reminder to me that I need to keep my eyes on Jesus and take the next step forward. When I feel the winds of distraction around me, I need to fix my eyes on Jesus.

There are so many things I want to do. And a lot of those things seem impossible to me right now. Get a travel position as a new grad not in a nursing home (skilled nursing facility)? Go on a road trip up to New England this summer? Make sure I have time off work for a missions trip to Georgia I am signed up for and Royal Family Kids' Camp? How about getting experience to work with at-risk youth that I feel such a call for?

Sometimes I feel completely inadequate. And if I sit back and think about it, I am. I don't have all the resources I need - money, time, experience, age. But thankfully I serve a Jesus who has all the resources. He can open doors all the resources in the world I couldn't use to open.

And on that, I will fix my eyes. Knowing that the Jesus who helped me get through college, and pass my boards, will help me find a job and will supply all my needs.

Comments