The Vegas Diaries, part 1

What do you think of when you think of Nevada, specifically Las Vegas?

Probably what most people do. Sinful. Legal prostitution. Gambling. Entertainment. 

When I walked into the airport after getting off the plane, all I saw were slot machines and the word Flashy came to mind. 

Even the license plates proclaim, "Wild and Free!" 

People were shocked when I said I was going there, especially alone. "What do your parents think?" "Aren't you scared??" 

My parents, although I love them dearly, do not make life choices for me anymore. I make choices, and I live through the consequences of my actions, good or bad. They, being the wonderful parents they are, are excited for me. They know that this is where I need to be right now. They know it has been a huge dream of mine to be a travel therapist. They know that I am in tune with God and that I try to do what I feel He wants me to do. 

Am I scared? Yeah, it's a little bit freaky for a girl who loves the country to be in a big city. But sometimes I get scared starting new jobs. Navigating airports in a hurry. Things in life make us scared. If I didn't do something every time I felt scared, I would have a very boring life. And would probably be even paler than I am now, because I could just stay in the house. Afraid of life. Of living. 

There have been two verses when I've been scared that come to my mind. 1 John 4:18 -"There is no fear in love; instead, perfect love drives out fear, because fear involves punishment. So the one who fears has not reached perfection in love." Jesus has perfect love for us. He doesn't do things to punish us. He sees the whole plan for our lives. But in return, I need to keep working on my perfect love for Jesus. As I told a friend this past week, "In my heart, I know Jesus will work everything out, but I'm having a hard time convincing my mind and body of that." The other verse that came to mind is 2 Timothy 1:7 - "For God has not given us a spirit of fearfulness, but one of power, love, and sound judgment." I love this verse. First of us, God has not given me a spirit of fear. But He has also given me confidence, love for people, and a sound judgment in knowing what is right and wrong. That is how I can travel 1,000+ miles to live with people I've never met before and go to an amazing church that I'm so excited to visit tonight for the first time. I trust my "gut instinct" because I know God allows us to have intuition. 

It's easy to get caught up in negative things about places or people. I do it all the time. There is a reason the Bible says, "Take every thought captive and make it obedient to the mind of Christ" (2 Cor. 10:5). We have thoughts naturally. It's up to us what we do with them. Do we hold onto them, 

But let's look past that. 

When I got off my plane, my wonderful roommate, who I had never met in person until that point, welcomed me with open arms. When I went to Walmart at 12am, all these people smiled at me. I know that doesn't seem like a huge deal, but people get too caught up in life, and I LOVE when people take time to smile at others. Especially at 12am when most people are in bed. I was pretty impressed. 

As I was walking around my apartment complex this morning, I saw the "Wild and Free" slogan on the licenses plates and it got me thinking about how often places (and people) are named/nicknamed something and that is what they become or vice versa, they are named something because they are that. Names give destiny. 

I've given some examples --

New Orleans is nicknamed the "Big Easy" because it's PARTAY CENTRAL! And everyone is chill and there are celebrations all over the city, all the time.


"He named the place Massah [which means testing] and Meribah [which means arguing] because the Israelites complained, and because they tested the Lord, saying, “Is the Lord among us or not?” - Exodus 17:7


 "So [Sarah] called the Lord who spoke to her: The God Who Sees, for she said, “In this place, have I actually seen the One who sees me?” That is why she named the spring, “A Well of the Living One Who Sees Me.” It is located between Kadesh and Bered." - Genesis 16:13-14


"And Jesus responded, “Simon son of Jonah, you are blessed because flesh and blood did not reveal this to you, but My Father in heaven. And I also say to you that you are Peter [which comes from the Greek word petros which means bedrock], and on this rock I will build My church, and the forces of Hades will not overpower it." - Matthew 16:17-18


My mom had a miscarriage the year before I was born. When she was pregnant with me, someone prophesied that I would bring "double joy." When I was born, obviously they named me Elizabeth - which means "Oath of God" or "God's Promise." 

So, I was thinking about how destinies are often tied to names and how even though Nevada's slogan "Wild and Free" can be perceived as negative, the word "freedom" offers so much potential to the city! 

Freedom:
1. the state of being free or at liberty rather than in confinement or under physical restraint: He won his freedom after a retrial.
2. exemption from external control, interference, regulation, etc.
3. personal liberty, as opposed to bondage or slavery

Definitions found on dictionary.com.

John 8:36: "Therefore, if the Son sets you free, you really will be free."

If you think about me in Vegas, please, pray this verse over the city and the people of Vegas!

One of my favorite verses (Romans 9:24-26) says,
"As He also says in Hosea:
I will call Not My People, My People,
and she who is Unloved, Beloved.
And it will be in the place where they were told,
you are not My people,
there they will be called sons of the living God."

The destinies of people and places can be changed by speaking life into people. And I want to be a life-speaker!


Comments