The Vegas Diaries, Part 2

I'm starting to fall in love with Vegas. There are some awesome things going on out here! I can't believe I've only been here 1 week. This week I started work at a rehab hospital as a Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant, my roommate Mary and I accidentally ended up in the NASCAR Hauler Parade on the way home from work, and I helped with VERVE church youth + met a lot of awesome VERVE people.

And today, as a wonderful way to start the weekend, myself, along with some of the church families, drove over to Death Valley, California which is about 3-3 1/2 hours away. It's basically desert for hundreds of miles and it's beautiful in a strange, dry, hot sort of way.

The official first stop we made was at a gas station (and brothel) to use the bathroom. It was near Area 51 and of course the gas station played off the alien and UFO legends.

My Alien Postcard

The newest alien!

Tourist trap/gas station


The first stop in Death Valley was Scotty's Castle! It is a huge house/ranch. It was beautiful and we hiked up to Scotty's grave and picnicked under some lovely green trees.

Here is an excerpt taken off of the National PArk Service's website (http://www.nps.gov/deva/learn/historyculture/scottys-castle.htm):

"Walter Scott, Death Valley Scotty, convinced everyone that he had built the castle with money from his rich secret mines in the area. Albert Mussey Johnson actually built the house as a vacation getaway for himself and his wife Bessie. Scotty was the mystery, the cowboy, and the entertainer, but he was also a friend. Albert was the brains and the money. Two men as different as night and day, from different worlds and with different visions - who shared a dream."


The Main part


Me kind of with the castle


The view....


Death Valley Scotty's grave + the view


After exploring around Scotty's Castle and eating lunch, we headed to the crater! We drove and drove and all of a sudden, there it was!

The Ubehebe Crater


Crater selfie!

The ladies I was with (Jen and Lisa) fell walking up...you definitely had to be there, but it was pretty hysterical!

The crater from the top of our hike


The little crater

We hiked about 1/2 mile up to the highest vantage point for the crater and just looked down. It's amazing to wonder how it formed. 


Our last stop (other than getting gas again) was at the Furnace Creek Visitor's Center, where the temperature was 93 degrees F! Needless to say, I got some sun today...and wearing a black shirt was a dumb idea, but I do love the "Love Vegas" Verve Church shirt!

Over all, it was a wonderful 9 hour adventure!! It was fantastic to get to spend some time out side and stretch my legs and walk awhile!! Also, I just want to say Thank God I went to Death Valley in March, because I can't even imagine the heat in the summer time!




Comments