The Vegas Diaries, Part 4

It’s been a little bit since I’ve written. I finished up my work contract at the hospital last week, so this week I’ve just been cramming more adventures in and taking some down time before I fly back to Pennsylvania in a few days.

Here are the adventures I can think of:

-I rode a zipline down Fremont Street in the dark. 70 feet up!

-I drove out to the middle of the desert with friends and went star gazing. I saw some shooting stars! I was starstuck!! (Bad pun, I know.)

-I visited Valley of Fire State Park

-I went to the M&M store…it really is as wonderful as it sounds!


-I took the bus to The Strip and explored alone.


-I went to the arts district…which is really just a sketchy neighborhood...so I got back on the bus.

-I walked around Las Vegas offering to take pictures for people. Seriously, it’s not hard to do, takes a few minutes, and it makes people so happy!

-I gave directions around Vegas.

-I took random pictures.

-I saw the Bellagio Gardens and drank a delicious Pabana (passion mango, banana, orange juice, and strawberry) smoothie!


-I had conversations that inspired and challenged me.

-I saw Bodies: The Exhibition…which is a very cool exhibit of cadavers cut open! It shows how the body works, what diseased organs look like, and a bunch of other body related things. It was amazing! It makes me want to donate my body to science when I die.

-I stayed up late on a work night and went to a country bar. (I was too chicken to dance much since I don’t know line dances…YET).

-I ate sushi with friends. (AKA I ate chicken teriyaki sushi since I don’t eat “real” sushi)

-I waited at Bellagio’s for an hour to see the fountains…and they didn’t go off. I got a lot of reading done though and I got to see some adorable baby ducklings swimming around.


-I watched the movie “French Kiss” with friends and cooked s’mores inside

-I sat in Downtown Container Park and people-watched.

-I went to the Mob Museum.

-I asked lots of questions.

-I rode on a double decker bus for the first time

-I went to amazing thrift stores. (Savers for the win!)

-I found a wonderful organic market –Downtown Market- that sells (excuse the language) “Kickass Sandwiches” according to their board…it really was a delicious sandwich and the guys that worked there were really nice. Plus, I got to sit outside and eat and read and enjoy sitting.

-I laid out a plan of action for one of my biggest dreams.

-I met random people and spread joy as I wandered in Vegas.

-I SAW THE JABBAWOCKEEZ SHOW!!!! It was fabulous!!





I listened to a TED Talk this afternoon as I was packing. It was called “The Art of Stillness” by Pico Iyer. In it, Pico says, “I’ll always be a traveler, my livelihood depends on it. But one of the beauties of travel is that it allows you to bring stillness into the motion and the commotion of the world.”

I thought about how true that was. Yes, I did a lot of things the past few weeks. But I also took time to sit. To think. To pray. I took time to read and to breathe. To rest. When I went downtown yesterday, I had no plans. I just hopped off and on the bus where I want. I didn’t have a map. I just explored. At times, I felt like I needed to do something. To do more. But I stopped myself from the busyness. I sat at Bellagio’s and read a book. I went downtown and just sat in the organic market.

It is good to be still and to make time to reflect. It is good to have adventures and explore. Life is all about balance!

Comments

  1. Well, I guess the mail I was gonna mail to you (still waiting to get it all) will have to wait until I see you in person!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment