Destinations, and the Journey There

There is no place I feel more like a young 20-something then when I'm sitting in a little soup and sandwich shop. It is here that I spend my Friday evening.

 After being with people all day, I thoroughly enjoy the solitude as I contemplate my life.

I had to laugh because my carride to this cafe seems similar to my life lately. I plugged in the closest Chick Fil A on my gps. (I am getting spoiled living near so many.) I was driving on the beautiful historic roads of Buck County, enjoying the wooded drive and the old houses along the Delaware River. As I arrived near my destination according to the gps, I could not find the Chick Fil A. Seeing the cafe, I pulled in and it's been a lovely surprise.

 My life seems to be like that. I have in my mind where I want my destination to be. And I try to enjoy life along the way and take time to "look out the windows". Sometimes, when I reach the end of that journey, the destination is not what I thought it would be. Not unpleasant, just different. And I'm finding that it is okay. That even though I try to plan my own steps, the Lord establishes my paths (Proverbs 16:9).

I see it over and over in my life.

I went to Penn State as a business major, I left an Occupational Therapy Assistant.

 I wanted to be a travel OTA, and just when I thought I'd never find a travel position as a new grad, my very first interview hired me (and in a setting I had never worked in, no less!)


I wanted a travel position, but I never thought it would be in Las Vegas...a city I had never given a second thought to, I made so many friends and drew closer to Jesus.

Even now, I sometimes struggle because more than anything else (other than loving Jesus), I want to be a wife and a mother. I am so excited for my friends as they get married. Sometimes even in the midst of being excited for people, I feel a little twinge in my heart. Yet I am reminded as I ponder my life, that right now I am getting to have so many unique experiences that if  I had a family, I wouldn't just be able to pack up and switch jobs. And although it can be hard, and some days I have to release  and re-release my dream of being a wife and mother, I choose to place the desires of my heart back into His hands. I choose to be filled with gratefulness for a job that I enjoy. I truly love the impact I am able to have on peoples' days with a kind word, a smile, a joke. In Hebrews 12:2, Jesus is referred to as an "author and finisher". How cool is it that the author of my story is also a finisher?? I KNOW He won't leave me hanging. In the next few weeks, I finish up my job placement in Philly and start my summer of missions trips and road trips. I have no idea where I'll be after the first week of August, but that's okay. I know that the God who orchestrated my Vegas trip in 12 hours and the God who opened up a place in PA for me a day after I committed to going back to PA even though there were no placements, will open doors for me. Revelations 3:7 says God opens doors no man can shut and shuts doors no man can open.

And so, as I sit here in the cafe, I am content to live my story to the best of my ability. To glorify Jesus in every aspect of my life. To make my patients who rarely smile, laugh (and today, one of my toughest patients hugged me!) To love my friends, family, and the people around me. I am so thankful.




















Comments