Life Lessons and Laughter

Wow, what a crazy, wonderful past few months it has been! I went on a missions trip to Georgia, I helped with Royal Family Kids' Camp for a week, I relaxed, I laughed, I cried, I road tripped to New England, I moved across the country to California for 10 months, and so much more!

1. Don't tell God what you aren't going to do. He sits back and laughs! 
California is one of my least favorite states, I dislike the desert and the heat, and I love water. I am NEVER living there...not even going back to visit if I can avoid it. Oh wait, guess where I am? That's right. Smack dab in the desert in California. In the middle of a drought. But I have a job I really wanted - working with kids in schools! And, I am learning to trust God so much more.

2. Be VERY careful and specific when you pray.
I prayed to get a school job in Lancaster (Lankister). I got a school job in Lancaster (LANcaster). They may look the same spelling wise, but I didn't specify what state. I meant Lancaster, PA...I got sent across the country to Lancaster, CA. All my friends here make fun of me because I still pronounce it the PA way. ;)

3. It is possible to become a coffee drinker after barely tolerating coffee. 
Even though I made it through college without becoming a coffee drinker, my resolve did not last after this summer. 5,000 miles on the road this summer (including the 3,000 miles on the road in two weeks) will do that to you. Dunkin Donuts became my best friend. For the sake of the world, I do limit my coffee intake (those that know me in person know how hyperactive I am without sugar and/or caffeine in my body.) Certain friends of mine laugh at this because they've tried to get me to drink coffee for years!

As a side note, Dunkin Donuts Express are NOT the same thing as Dunkin Donuts. Their coffee is far inferior! The day I found that out was a morning of disappointment. I can't force myself to drink bad coffee. I'm not THAT committed.

4. Find beauty in all things.
"Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing." - Camille Pissarro

It is really easy to find the ugly in things. It is human nature to focus on the flaws. But, it is possible to train your mind to see beauty everywhere. Think of it like a training exercise: the more you do it, the more easily it comes to you.

I'll use the example of the desert. When I just look at the desert, I see sand, ugly bushes, and heat. I see poisonous animals. When I take a closer look, I see the sparkle of the water in the aqueduct, like diamonds. I see beautiful cactus flowers in bright pink colors. I see twinkling stars in a navy blue background. I see a God-painted sunset in pinks and oranges. I see (and smell) the onion fields. There is always beauty - sometimes you just have to look deeper to find it.

5. If Jesus tells you Saturday night as you are on the home stretch of a road trip that you are teaching a sermon the next morning, you had better do it. 
I will say pressure is one way to make sure that it is Jesus's words coming out, not yours.

But, here is the link if anyone wants to listen to what I taught about.
https://soundcloud.com/starsgoblue1119/sets/lessons-from-a-road-trip

6. "It is not the mountain we must conquer, but ourselves."
I found this amazing quote last night, and I love it! It is so true. I don't know about your mind, but my mind likes to tell me about everything I can't do. Like hiking a mile high mountain when I've never hiked a mountain. Physically, it was extremely hard, but I could do it. Mentally, my mind kept saying, "You can't do this. Why are you even trying?" Or moving across the country alone. I have learned, and am still learning, to stop those poisonous thoughts and keep focusing on Jesus. "Jesus, I know You have called me to do this, so even if it looks impossible to me, I will keep taking steps forward as You reveal the plan."

7. Jesus brings people together in the most unlikely of ways. 
"I like people with depth, I like people with emotion, I like people with a strong mind, an interesting mind, a twisted mind, and also people that can make me smile." -Abbey Lee Kershaw

It is such a blessing to me how God has brought people into my life. I have the best support group around me I could ever ask for. I have friends/family in PA. I have new "adopted" families in California. Seriously, ya'll are amazing and have welcomed me in with open arms! People of depth, and Jesus, and openness, and confidence, and kindness. This is what the true Body of Christ looks like.

8. It is an absolute gift to be able to laugh! 
I have a twisted, ironic, silly sense of humor. And I adore it. Laughter makes my days brighter, it makes me find the positive in hard situations, and it helps me look at life through a different perspective.

"A joyful heart is good medicine, but a broken spirit dries up the bones!" - Proverbs 17:22


Comments