Battling Fear: Walking in a Warrior Mindset

For as long as I can remember, I have fought fear. I have battled with "what ifs" and negativity. I have woken up with tears running down my face in the middle of the night after horrific, heart pounding nightmares (even as an adult). I have stressed myself to the point of making myself sick.

But, even though sometimes my spirit feels crushed, I choose to stand and fight. I fight with the Word of God - Isaiah 55:11 says, "My word that comes from My mouth will not return to Me empty, but it will accomplish what I please and will prosper in what I send it to do.” I speak verses of peace, and power. Of sound mind, and of love. Of clarity, and discernment, and no fear. I am a warrior, and I choose to walk in the warrior mindset. I refuse to walk in a crippling mindset.

There are moments and days that I really struggle. That I just want to curl up in my bed and not face the world. If I sit there and wallow, my anxiety grows and multiplies. But I have found that when I fight back, I become more courageous. I can face my life without fear because I am walking in my identity of a Daughter of the King, who has been given the keys to the Kingdom and the tools to both defend and fight.

I love this picture I found of a Warrior Woman.
It embodies the picture of the Sword of the Spirit and the Shield of Faith.

Lately I have been meditating on these verses.

"“Peace I leave with you. My peace I give to you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Your heart must not be troubled or fearful. You have heard Me tell you, ‘I am going away and I am coming to you.’ If you loved Me, you would have rejoiced that I am going to the Father, because the Father is greater than I. I have told you now before it happens so that when it does happen you may believe. I will not talk with you much longer, because the ruler of the world is coming. He has no power over Me. On the contrary, I am going away so that the world may know that I love the Father. Just as the Father commanded Me, so I do.""- John 14:27-31

"There is no fear in love. Instead, perfect love casts out all fear, because fear involves punishment. So the one who fears has not reached perfection of love." - 1 John 4:18

**Side note with this verse, I have been learning that if I am walking in fear, I am not walking in perfect love towards Jesus. He deserves my perfect love

"For though we live in the body, we do not wage war in an unspiritual way, since the weapons of our warfare are not worldly, but are powerful through God for the demolition of strongholds. We demolish arguments and every high-minded thing that is raised up against the knowledge of God, taking every thought captive to obey Christ. And we are ready to punish any disobedience, once your obedience has been affirmed." - 2 Corinthians 10:3-6

"Consider it a great joy, my brothers, whenever you experience various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. But endurance must do its complete work, so that you may be mature and complete, lacking in nothing." James 1:2-4

"I will lie down and sleep in peace, for You alone, Oh Lord, make me dwell in safety." -Psalm 4:8
**This is what I pray out loud before I fall asleep.

"For God has not given us a spirit of fearfulness, but one of sound judgment, power, and love." -2 Timothy 1:7

"In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust. I will not fear. What can man do to me?" - Psalm 56:11

"Strength and honor are her clothing, she laughs at the time to come [some versions say "without fear of the future"]." - Psalm 31:25

These are some of my fear-fighting tools:

1. Worshiping Jesus.
I crank my worship music loud so that it drowns out my negative thoughts and encourages the focus on Him! I sing at the top of my lungs even when I don't feel like it and quickly my attitude changes. Just like trying to stay mad when someone makes you laugh, it is impossible to stay mad when praising Jesus.

My Fearless Playlist!
"Greater" by Blanca
"Halfway" by 3 For 3
"Afterlife" by Switchfoot (the only song that you will ever see me like by Switchfoot ;))
"The Maker" by Chris August
"My Lighthouse" by Rend Collective
"Brave" by Moriah Peters
"Same Power" by Jeremy Camp
"You are God Alone" by Phillips, Craig, and Dean
"Into Your Arms" by Capital Kings
"I Stand" by We As Human
"Oh Fear" by Moriah Peters
"Alone" by Hollyn
"First" by Lauren Daigle
"You Will Never Run" by Rend Collective
"Strike Back" by We As Human
"He Knows My Name" by Francesca Battistelli
"Just Be Held" by Casting Crowns
"More Than Conquerors" by Rend Collective
"Rise" by Skillet
"He Knows" by Jeremy Camp
"Air I Breathe" by Mat Kearney
"Overcome" by Jeremy Camp
"No Longer Slaves" by Bethel Music
"Fix My Eyes" by For King & For Country
"Oceans" by Hillsong
"Just Say Jesus" by 7eventh Time Down
"Whom Shall I Fear" by Chris Tomlin

2. Prayer
Prayer is the most powerful weapon we have. It should be our first response to anything, good or bad. Seeking the Lord's will.

Read the Lord's Prayer - Matthew 6:9-13.

"Now if any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives to all generously and without criticizing, and it will be given to Him. But let him ask in faith without doubting." - James 1: 5-6.

If you have difficulty finding the words to pray, pray a Psalms. They are full of praise - both of sadness and joy, of despair and courage. Or like the song "Just Say Jesus" says, "When you don't know what to say, just say Jesus. There is power in the name. The name of Jesus. If the words won't come cause you're too afraid to pray, just say Jesus."

The more I learn about prayer and implement it into my life, the more I see its power. THAT is how we wage against spiritual battles!

3. I memorize and speak verses over my life.
Do it out loud. It fills the atmosphere of your room, your car, your life. Life and death are in the power of the tongue (Proverbs 18:21). When I wake up in the middle of the night after a nightmare, I speak verses into my room, and quickly I fall back asleep with the promises of the Savior in my mind.

4. I decrease my time with the world.
I pull back from reading the news, listening to non-Christian music, watching TV, you get the idea.

Not that any of those things are bad, but if they become my idols and my focus is off of Jesus, then I need to get a focus adjustment.

For example, I love country music. But in the mornings on my way to work, I try to listen to Air 1 or a Christian station to start my day off with Jesus. When I head home from work, sometimes I'll listen to country music. But my day will have already started off saturated in Jesus.

I also have been trying to read more uplifting and encouraging books, such as "Qualities of a Spiritual Warrior" by Graham Cooke, instead of just reading novels that really don't add substance to my life.

5. I let my support system know what's up and I ask them to pray when I'm having specifically hard days.
It's usually a quick text saying, "Please pray for me today. I am struggling." And they reply back that they are on it! If you ever need someone to pray for you, let me know!

Sometimes, my support system is just listening to the Holy Spirit and they encourage me without even knowing. Take yesterday for example. I was having a rough Sunday morning with my thoughts. My spirit was just down and frustrated and on the way home from church I was just crying out to God. That afternoon, some dear friends took me out for my birthday and it was a lovely day. I got to see snow and trees (in California!!) that reminded me so much of Pennsylvania. When I opened up their present, it was a shirt that says, "Fearless" across it, with a verse. Laughingly, I explained to them how much I had struggled that morning and how the gift could not have been a more perfectly timed reminder. Quietly I thanked Jesus for the reminder.
Jesus knows. He hears.



I wish I could say that I never struggle with fear anymore. I still do, but the fires are extinguished quicker now and the fearful thoughts are taken captive faster. I am so thankful that I am equipped for the battle of my mind! I didn't just magically get better equipped, I worked at it. But the more that you utilize the tools, the quicker they are ingrained in you and become habitual. Be encouraged! Walk in a warrior mindset. Fight for that warrior mindset!

"Knowing the difference between eternal and temporal threats changes what I fear." - Lysa TerKeurst

Comments

  1. This was AWESOME!! Great insight here. I have spoken on fear quite a few times as I have been set free from a lot of fear and anxiety in my life and I will definitely have to add some of these things into my message. Thanks so much for sharing your heart. One thing that I would like to encourage you in though and that is to reread what you quoted for the verses 2 Corinthians 10:3-6. Think you missed a crucial word in there :) Love ya girl and keep fighting!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fixed! Thank you for catching that!! It's hard to proofread my own work! Haha.

      Thank you!! I try to be vulnerable in the hopes that it will encourage others!! Love you too, and I will!

      Delete

Post a Comment