Quotes & Lessons: 22 Things I've Learned the Past Year

In honor of my 22nd birthday today, I thought that I would put 22 of my favorite quotes that I feel have described aspects of this past year (and hopefully this coming year!).



1. "Going to the woods is going home." - John Muir

I have never felt more at home anywhere more than I do in the woods.

2. "It is not the mountain we must conquer, but ourselves." - Anonymous

I conquered both figurative and literal mountains this year. And I will continue to keep doing so in the coming year!

3. "You get a strange feeling when you leave a place, like you'll not only miss the people you love, but you miss the person you are at this time and place because you'll never be this way ever again."

Being a nomad the past few months and meeting many people in many places.

4. "Travel isn't always pretty. It isn't always comfortable. Sometimes it hurts, it even breaks your heart. But that's okay. The journey changes you - it should change you. It leaves marks on your memory, on your consciousness, on your heart, and on your body. You take something with you...Hopefully, you leave something good behind." - Anthony Bourdain

Traveling and how I'm learning to love the journey.

5. "Fullness comes when we learn to be with Jesus before going out to serve Him." - Lysa TerKeurst

I learned (and am still learning) to put my relationship with Him first, then serve. Not the other way around.

6. "God is looking for people through whom He can do the impossible. What a pity we only plan to do the things that we can do by ourselves." - A.W. Tozer

I am learning to have impossible dreams, because I have a Savior who can make anything possible!

7. "Daring greatly means the courage to be vulnerable. It means to show up and be seen. To ask for what you need. To talk about how you're feeling. To have the hard conversations." - Brene Brown

I've learned the importance of being vulnerable and outspoken.

8. "Little girls with dreams become women with vision." - Unknown

I'm a big dreamer. And that is a wonderful thing!

9. "Pearls are always appropriate." - Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis

Pearls. My favorite fashion accessory.

10. "Always go with the choice that scares you the most, because that's the one that's going to require the most from you." - Carolyn Myss

I do scary things.

11. "Creative people are curious, flexible, persistent, and independent with a tremendous spirit of adventure and a love of play." - Henri Matisse

I am a very creative, outside of the box person.

12. "See the light in others, and treat them as if that's all you see." - Dr. Wayne Dyer

I'm learning to see the positive qualities in people and focus on that instead of nitpicking the negative.

13. "You should be kissed and often and by someone who knows how." - Rhett Butler, Gone with the Wind

I'm such a romantic.

14. "Hold the vision, trust the process." - unknown

I keep my vision in mind, and try to be flexible with how I get there.

15. "Your vibe attracts your tribe." - unknown

I have an amazing tribe!

16. "You need to learn to select your thoughts just the same way you select your clothes every day. This is a power you can cultivate." - Elizabeth Gilbert

Mind control. The good kind.

17. "Children are not a distraction from more important work. They are the most important work." - C.S. Lewis

I have to put a second quote with this.

"In my world there are no bad kids, just impressionable, conflicted young people wrestling with emotions and impulses, trying to communicate their feelings and needs the only way they know how." - Janet Lansbury

It is such a gift to work with kids!

18. "It will be our love and not our opinions which will be our greatest contribution to the world." - Bob Goff

I want to love people more fully.

19. "In an ideal world, no one would talk before 10 am. People would just hug, because waking up is really hard." - Zooey Deschanel

Perfection. I am still not a morning person.

20. "Of all the paths you take in life make sure a few of them are dirt."

Exploring is in my blood. Getting off the beaten trail. Adventuring. Hiking.

21. "You know what's really, powerfully sexy? A sense for humor. A taste of adventure. A healthy glow. Hips to grab onto. Openness. Confidence. Humility. Appetite. Intuition...Smart-ass comebacks. Presence. A quick wit. Dirty jokes told by an innocent-looking lady...a woman who realizes how beautiful she is." - Courtney E. Martin.

This quote is raw, and beautiful, and rough. (I apologize for the slight language). But I feel like I have embraced myself in a way that I never have before this year. I have learned to embrace my identity as a daughter of the King! This quote embodies so many of the areas I have embraced in my life.

22. "I have one desire now- to live a life of reckless abandon for the Lord, putting all my energy and strength into it." - Elisabeth Elliot

Yes.

Comments