Journeys and Lord of the Rings

Journey: (noun) "Passage or progress from one stage to another" (Dictionary.com)

I can honestly say that in January of this year, I could not have predicted that I would live in 4 states, travel in 20+ states, and do 4 major road trips (2 of them being across the continental U.S.).

I sit here relaxing in my California apartment, taking a few moments to catch my breath and reflect; to finish packing the last few things and to plan my journey back to Pennsylvania.

All I can think is What A Journey.

Hard.
Beautiful.
Intense.
Heartbreaking.
Breathtaking.
Scary.
Hilarious.
Unknown.
Exhilarating.
Thought-filled.
Wearying.
Life giving.

As I have been in California, I have been reading the "Lord of the Rings" series. To make a long story short, certain friends of mine have been trying to get me to read them for years, but all attempts when I was younger failed because I couldn't get into them. (To be fair though, the first few chapters of book one are pretty dry and I wanted to just say, "Got on the journey already!!") But I saw them at the library one day and decided I wanted to read them. As of right now, I am halfway through The Two Towers.

As I am reading the books and imaging Frodo and The Company's journey through Middle-earth, I am in awe. I was kind of mad at myself that I hadn't read them sooner. Lessons they were learning in the book kept applying to my life. It was such an encouragement to me to be reading about Frodo's determination to do what he must do. He took the harder road for the good of mankind (or rather creaturekind in the books), to the discomfort of himself. He is not the only hero of the story though. The Nine (his friends-actually 8, because he is part of the Nine) make the choice to stay with and protect their friend no matter what. They put aside their differences (elves and dwarves together = bad idea!), they put aside their safety, and they dedicate themselves to the cause.

"Home is now behind you, the world is ahead." - When Frodo leaves the Shire, he leaves behind all that he has ever known. This year, I have felt like this many times. It is scary and exhilarating. But, not only was home behind me, but I could feel all of my support system holding me up, praying for me, challenging me even in the hardest times. It is a beautiful thing.

As Gandalf the Grey said, "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

The beauty of journeys is that we each have our own to walk. And we make choices that affect the paths our journeys take. Each stepping out of our comfort zone, or refusing to get out of it, affects our journey. What our passions and gifts are, affects our journey. Who we connect with and are influenced by and who we influence affect our journey.

Hopefully this isn't as scattered as I feel like it is, but my brain is tired tonight. My heart is so full and happy though!

Comments