The Value of Tea Breaks: Being a Mary over a Martha

Luke 10:38-42
“While they were traveling, He entered a village, and a woman named Martha welcomed Him into her home. She had a sister named Mary, who also sat at the Lord’s feet and was listening to what He said. But Martha was distracted by her many tasks, and she came up and asked, “Lord, don’t You care that my sister has left me to serve alone? So tell her to give me a hand.”

The Lord answered her, “Martha, Martha, you are worried and upset about many things, but one thing is necessary. Mary has made the right choice, and it will not be taken away from her.”

Irish people drink lots of tea. We were working at the church our second day there and our cleaning and carpentry were interrupted with “Tea break time!” Our hosts made tea and pulled out biscuits and we all sat down for the first of many, many cups of tea.

One of our sweet hosts in another town, Anna, taught me the art of Irish tea making. First, you boil the water. When the water is boiling, you pour a little bit in the tea pot and swish it around to make the pot and spout hot, then you dump it out of the pot. Next, you add in your tea bags into the pot and pour the remaining water over them. Let it soak for 5 minutes. In your chosen mug, put in the desired amount of milk and sugar. (You have to have milk. It’s Irish.) Pour the tea into the mug. Drink, but don’t burn yourself!

Just like tea making, relationships are a process that require time, patience, and effort. They require making a choice to sit down and spend time with people. To listen, really listen. I value people and relationships, but if I’m not careful, I focus more on tasks sometimes out of guilt for what I think I “should” be doing.

During this trip, a lot of ministry time happened by just having conversations with people – in homes, airports, on the streets. When I choose to not live in the moment and I choose to feel guilt over what I think I should be doing, I miss opportunities that the Holy Spirit wants me to be working in.

The story of Mary and Martha came to mind as I internally wrestled with taking time for tea breaks. I was reminded that people and relationships should always come over tasks. Sometimes that looks like working alongside each other. Other times that looks like sitting down and taking time to hear peoples’ stories and struggles and lives. I will continue to practice being a Mary – taking time to listen to what the Holy Spirit is trying to teach me and to what other people are communicating with me.

Ireland, thank you for teaching me more about tea. Thank you more for teaching me about how to practice really listening to stories and about the Art of Pause to enjoy the moments.

“Take a little time for tea.” – Kathy Hatch

*Ireland 2016, part 2

Comments