Coffee & Conversations

I feel more comfortable with the idea of traveling the world for 11 months than I do with settling down in a routine. I came to this realization this week.

Let me back up and explain what I’m talking about.
For as long as I can remember, especially my adult years, life has been filled with a series of grand adventures. Traveling all over the states alone to work in unfamiliar places. Road trips out west, Maine and New Orleans. Missions trips to Alaska, Georgia, and Ireland. I love to travel, so it has become a defining thing in my life…a definition of me. “Hello, I’m Elizabeth, and I’m addicted to traveling” – would be me if there was a Travelers Anonymous.

I recently heard about something called “World Race.” Basically it’s a missions trip that is 11 countries in 11 months. Amazing, right?! Not only that but it combines adventure, missions, and discipleship!! Three of my most favorite things. I was immediately drawn to it and the more I looked into it, the more my heart fell in love with the idea of taking a year to do this.

I reached out to several people to ask them to pray for me as I considered going on World Race. With all my heart, I wanted to. I said, “Jesus, think of how I will grow in this! It will teach me trust fully and so many other things.” But this week I was praying and listening, and He said, “Elizabeth, it requires more from you to stay than it would for you to go right now. To trust that this routine is where you need to be. Sometimes you travel to distract yourself. Yes, I use travel to teach you things, but sometimes you try to hide behind traveling instead of staying firmly planted and living in the present. I want you to trust me, and I want you to learn to wait expectantly.”

Message received.
I found this verse during devotions the other day and it has become an anthem of sorts for me right now.

Psalm 37:7 says, “Be silent before the LORD and wait expectantly for Him; do not be agitated by one who prospers in his way, by the man who carries out evil plans.”

I’m not saying I’m going to stop traveling (I still have trips upcoming and am planning trips!). However, I’ve come to the realization that I am to make my everyday life as extraordinary as possible but also to be present in it. This doesn't mean I will never do World Race or lead more missions trips.

But right now I need enjoy my routines and my house. I can enjoy martial arts class and time to write. I celebrate the fact that I have a job that I love. I can enjoy my iced coffee in my quiet kitchen, and cook and bake.

When I was praying about my ministry for this season, the phrase “Coffee & Conversations” came to mind. That is exactly what I want. I want to keep hosting people at my house to talk and relax or do crafts or whatever would minister to them. So, if you want a coffee &conversation night with me, feel free to request one and I’ll do my best to schedule it! :) 


Comments