The "S" Word -- Single

Being single does not always feel like a gift. I will be the first to admit it. It does not feel like a gift when you go solo to weddings. It does not feel like a gift when a lot of friends are in serious relationships and marriages. It does not feel like a gift when you just want a long hug or a shoulder to cry on. It does not feel like a gift when my biggest dreams in life are to be a wife and mom.

Jesus has really been teaching me to appreciate this season and to realize what a gift it truly is. It is not easy at times, but it is good. I don't feel called to be single for a long time, but I've also been convicted not to waste the time that I am.

This was taken in New Orleans in 2013..the little girl's face = priceless


I've had many conversations with people lately and just some stuff that Jesus has been showing me about singleness has caused me to be pondering it all a lot. (I swear, if I hear "just keep looking for him" or "I know the perfect guy for you!" or "Don't worry, the right guy will come along" one more time I'm going to pop someone ;) ) So, being the list queen I am, I decided to make a list of Perks!

1. You can eat garlic and go longer without shaving your legs ;)

2. You get time to observe people and what works and what doesn't work in their relationships.

3. You can be a little bit more extravagant with money - random acts of kindness for others and massages for myself are some of my favorite things!

4. You learn more about yourself. I've learned what my strengths are (communication, including people, and positivity) and what my weaknesses are (not always saying things tactfully, dealing with crowds, and patience). I've learned what I can't live without (Jesus, traveling/adventures, time with my core people) and what I can totally live without (red beets, the desert, fixing my car alone).

5. You learn to trust your instincts. Doing things by myself quite a bit has honed my awareness for things around me and my judgments of people.

6. You have more freedom and spontaneity to do things. Sometimes, I just hop in the car and drive around. Recently I started taking Krav Maga martial arts a couple times a week.

7. Doing things alone can be empowering! Like, "Dang, I did this on my own!"

8. You have time to really work on building a strong foundation in your relationship with Jesus.

9. It's also a great time to learn where your heart for ministry is. I absolutely love discipleship and mentoring. I also enjoy small groups and conversations with people. Missions trips are also a favorite of mine!

10. Quiet time. Coming home to no people is a beautiful thing some days!

11. You can go to museums alone and take your time! *nerd alert* Sometimes I love to read everything, other times I only go to sections that really fascinate me. Either way, you aren't bothering anyone if you aren't with anyone! (The Mob Museum, The Air and Space Museum, and the International Spy Museum are some of my favorites!)

Being in a relationship is awesome and being single is awesome! Neither makes you a better or worse person. The most important thing is that you are where God is calling you in each season and that you are content where you are at. It really is what you make it. No person is content 100% of the time based on human feelings, however we have control over our thoughts and can redirect them back to Jesus when we are struggling.

"Wherever you are, be all there."

Comments