Fighting Words



"It doesn't matter how this looks to other people. If this is something you gotta do, then you do it. Fighters fight." - Rocky Balboa

It was pretty satisfying being the only girl at martial arts class tonight. I've found that I fight harder when I fight guys. I was the weakest one there, but I gave it my all, and that is a feeling that can't be beaten.

Choosing to be brave and start taking martial arts has taught me so much.

It has taught me to push myself - I can do more than I think I can.

It has taught me to grit my teeth and fight.

It has taught me to take punches and not stop going (even if it leaves half of my face numb like one tonight ;) ).

It has taught me discipline.

We did an exercise tonight where we had to take turns fighting off the other 4 people. Our teacher said, "In this kind of fight, you are going to lose, but you keep fighting!" As the guys rushed me, I fought. It was raw and sweaty and messy and, in all reality, I probably sucked at it, but I kept fighting.

For another sparring exercise, 2 of the guys had to throw me on the ground and pin me and I had to practice getting up while fighting them. Well, they had me pretty good, but all of a sudden, I desperately threw a hook and clocked the one guy in the temple. He then let go and I got up. After class, he laughingly came up to me and said, "My head still hurts from that punch!"

Sometimes I let insecurities into my brain - "Why are you even trying? You are the worst at this." But I try to quickly squish that thought with, "I'm showing up and I'm fighting."

I was driving home after class tonight thinking about how grateful I am to be taking this class and enjoying it (I'm still not crazy about burpees, or being thrown on the ground, but I can actually do a push up now!), and all the things that it's been teaching me,  1 Timothy 6:12 came to mind - "Fight the good fight for the faith; take hold of eternal life that you were called to and have made a good confession about in the presence of many witnesses."

As I was thinking all of this, I turned on the Christian radio station, and a caller called in and said, "We just need to fight the good fight." I had to laugh because I know it was confirmation for this lesson I'm learning.

This is what we are called to do in life, show up and fight the battles we are called to. We don't have to be these superhuman strongmen. We show up and give our all. It's okay to be tired, but keep fighting!

For some battle verses and encouragement in whatever fights you may be having:
  • Check out my life Psalm: Psalm 18!
  • Numbers 10:1-10
  • Deuteronomy 20
  • David & Goliath
  • 2 Chronicles 20
  • Ephesians 6:12

"My prayer is that when I die, all of hell rejoices I'm out of the fight." - C.S. Lewis

Comments