Psalm 139 - His Eye is On Me

I have been frustrated lately because I'm not sure what particularly to study in the Bible and I've just kind of been having a conversation with God about it.

Then, Psalm 139 started hitting me over the head. Everywhere I went. In fiction and non-fiction books I was reading. I couldn't escape it -- and don't really want to!

On a humorous note, I have a work mug I keep in my lunch box to make tea throughout the day. The handle broke off of it a bit ago and I was just like, "Whatever." But the past few weeks, coworkers have kept commenting on it. Tonight I figured I would stop by one of my favorite stores T. J. Maxx (woot woot!) and pick a new one up. I also saw a coworker's mug earlier with a scripture verse and had thought to myself "That would be an encouraging thing to see throughout the day."

Well, I walked into T. J. Maxx...I bet you will never guess what they had there (*sarcasm font*), you guessed it, a Psalm 139 mug that says, "Be Awesome! Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex! Your workmanship is marvelous..." Obviously, I bought it and am happily drinking tea out of it as I write.

Extra bonus: my favorite colors of blue and green!


I've learned that if something is in my head, I need to mull over it. I need to roll it around in my brain and ask questions about it.

Psalms 139 is such a great chapter. It's all about how God knows us.

Recently I've been struggling some with feeling not understood and misunderstood by people. I get it, I'm a "wonderfully complex" person. Sometimes my approach to people isn't always great. Sometimes my creativity overflows and I can't catch it fast enough to explain the processing to people. This passage has been reminding me to continue walking with the one person who knows me - Jesus. That He made me the way He did for a reason.

Some of my favorite parts of Psalm 139:

He sees when I travel and when I rest.
As a traveler, I love this. I can go nowhere out of reach from Him. Even when the cell phone reception is gone. Even when I'm driving in the middle of the Mojave Desert alone. Even when I am spending time in Alaskan villages.

He understands my thoughts.
Sometimes I don't even understand my thoughts. Certainly others don't always understand my thoughts. But God does, and when I'm feeling frustrated about being misunderstood or excited about creative ideas, He "gets" me.

He has placed His hand on me.
When I picture this in my mind, I imagine His hand lovingly placed on my forehead as He speaks a blessing over me. To me, it's a hand of blessing and protection. It makes me think of the birthrights - like when fathers would bless their firstborn sons and honor them.

Even the darkness is not dark to Him.
I don't like being in the dark. It's extremely creepy to me imagining all of the things that could be hiding in the shadows. Like secrets sneaking around. It makes me feel unsafe. However, when I shine a light, I instantly feel safer. It is mind-blowing to me that darkness is nothing to Him, because my human brain cannot comprehend that.

All my days were written and planned in His book.
And I stress out and try to orchestrate things why???

He has a vast amount of thoughts.
In a human way, I can understand this. My brain is constantly going and thinking and creating and planning. But He has thoughts that OUTNUMBER sand!

He searches my heart, knows my concerns, and leads me.
This requires action on my part. It requires the choice to keep my heart right towards Him and it requires me to trust Him to lead me. I can hide nothing from Him. But when there are areas I need to repent in, I need to do it. I also need to trust that since He knows all my days, He has a plan for me.


I just get so excited when I let God's truths sink into my very being. It means I'm really getting it! Yes, I still have to work on applying it, but letting it sink in is a start!

He calls us worthy. He calls us chosen. He calls us specially designed.

Pondering questions:

What are things in my life (personality traits, giftings that sometimes feel like curses, etc.) that I question God on at times?

How have I seen Him use those things to draw me closer to Him?

How have I seen Him use those things to reach others?

How does reading this passage make me feel or think?

Comments