A Study of Altars (Altars, Part 1)



Four Altars
 1. The Altar of Obedience and Promise

“So Abram went, as the Lord had told him…so he built an altar there to the Lord who had appeared to him.” – Genesis 12:4-7

“By faith, Abraham, when he was called, obeyed and went out to a place he was going to receive as an inheritance; he went out, not knowing where he was going.” – Hebrews 11:8

What is obedience?
          Going forth or taking action immediately when called. Not hesitating. Not worrying about where I am going… “follow the light unflinchingly” (J.R.R. Tolkien)

What are some areas I have been obedient in? 

Ask yourself this question and write down some areas. 

Examples in my life: traveling, leading girls' retreats, staying put in one area. 

What are some areas I need to be obedient in?
         
Now ask yourself this question, and write down some areas.

Examples in my life: Continuing to mentor, making time to listen to what the Father is saying, truly laying things down

How do I practice obedience?  

Examples in my life: I make the choice to follow Jesus no matter what. I say, “Yes, Lord” when He asks something of me. I do not let the unknown stop me from taking steps.

Obedience requires trust. Either I trust Jesus to lead, or I don’t. If I trust Him, then I walk forward in obedience, like walking across a train trestle in the dark, in fog, with only a lantern to guide me. I focus on the lamp ahead instead of the uncertainty below. If I don’t fully trust Him, I need to repent, examine my heart, and take action by practicing obedience. It doesn’t always come easy, but this is where I need to make the choice to walk in the Spirit instead of the soul.

2. The Altar of Pilgrim Walk and Intimacy

“From there [Abraham] moved to the hill country and pitched his tent, there he built an altar to the Lord and worshipped Him.” – Genesis 12:8

“By faith [Abraham] stayed as a foreigner in the land of promise, living in tents with Isaac and Jacob, co-heirs of the same promise.” – Hebrews 11:9

What is intimacy?
          Knowing someone deeply; walking alongside them in many situations

What are pilgrims?
          Sojourners, travelers, people on a journey

This altar is more about celebrating and acknowledging the journey. “The journey IS the destination.” This is about worship and walking. Organic and intentional relationship and intimacy.

How do I incorporate intimacy and pilgrim walk into daily life?

Write down or reflect on ways that you incorporate intimacy with Jesus and others. 

Examples in my life: Taking time to acknowledge where I’m at and what I’m feeling; being intentional about spending time with Jesus and others; cultivating an attitude of gratefulness and of worship.


As I pilgrim walk, sometimes I am going to feel “out of place” or “foreign.” In those times, I will continue to look to the altar and worship Jesus. I realize that my journey with Jesus is a pilgrim walk.


3. The Altar of Separation and No Return

“He went by stages from the Negev to Bethel and Ai where his tent had formerly been, to the site where he had built the altar. And Abram worshipped the Lord there.” – Genesis 13:3-4

“For [Abraham] was looking forward to the city that has foundations whose architect and builder is God.” – Hebrews 11:10

This altar was built as Abraham separated from Lot. He was journeying to new places God was calling him to. He could have stayed with Lot – it was comfortable. They had journeyed together for awhile. But Abraham needed to separate in order to go to the next place.

What attitudes, people, and/or things do I need to separate myself from in order to “empty my cup” for God to do new things in my life?

          Examples in my life: I need to daily release fear and control. I need to separate myself from attitudes of gossip and griping.

When I take unwanted and/or unnecessary things “out of my cup,” I am creating space for Jesus to fill me up with new thoughts, ideas, and godly mindsets.

As I separate from things, I keep in mind that “In all things, [I] am more than victorious, through Him who loves me. For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels or rulers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing has the power to separate [me] from the love of God that is in Jesus Christ [my] Lord.” – Romans 8:37-39 (HCSB)

4. The Altar of Possession and Sacrifice

“After Lot had separated from him, the Lord said to Abram, ‘Look from the place where you are. Look north and south, east and west, for I will give you and your offspring forever all the land that you see. I will make your offspring like the dust of the earth, so that if one could count the dust of the earth, then your offspring could be counted. Get up and walk from one end of the land to the other, for I will give it to you.’ So Abram moved his tent and went to live beside the oaks of Mamre at Hebron, where he built an altar to the Lord.” – Genesis 13:14-18

 “By faith, Abraham, when he was tested, offered up Isaac; he who had received the promises was offering up his unique son, about whom it had been said, ‘In Isaac, your seed will be called.’ He considered God to be able even to raise someone from the dead, from which he also got him back as an illustration.” – Hebrews 11:17-19

What is God asking me to lay down and place in His hands?


Examples in my life: He is asking me to lay down my dreams and desires, my plans, and to trust the plan of God. He is asking me to look back and see where He has been faithful and then to look forward and KNOW that He will be faithful again.

Proverbs 3 talks about trusting in the Lord and what it brings me.

If I…
Then…
Remember His teachings
They bring me many days, a full life, and well being.
Tie loyalty and faithfulness around my neck
I will find favor and high regard with God and man.
Trust in the Lord with all my heart and do not rely on myself
God will guide me on the right paths.
Don’t consider myself wise, fear the Lord, and turn away from evil
This will be healing for my body and strengthening for my bones.
Honor the Lord with my possessions and first fruits
My needs will be supplied and my vats will overflow with new wine.


When I trust God and walk in His plans, He showers me with blessings. He has good things in store for me, but there will be times it requires sacrifice from me. 

Rock cairn when I hiked Mt. Katahdin, Maine in 2015

Comments