Don't Be Still, My Beating Heart

I have long been fascinated with hearts. In my college human anatomy class, the heart was one of my absolute favorite things to work with and study. It is literally the wellspring of life. The blood pumping and filtering. Flowing in and flowing out. It brings life. It brings death. Even as I'm writing this, I'm watching a video of how they keep a transplant heart beating during transport and I am just in awe.

The term "heart catheterization" came up in conversation the other day, and it sparked a string of thoughts about the procedure and what all it does. As I read about it, I pondered, "What would a spiritual heart cath look like? Am I regularly checking its condition?"

Heart Catheterization: a procedure "that provides information on how well your heart works, identifies problems and allows for procedures to open blocked arteries" (www.heart.org).

How to have a spiritual heart cath:
Step one: Take time to evaluate the state of your heart. 
Even if you don't necessarily feel like there is an issue, routinely check the state of your heart. Take time to ask yourself probing questions. "Am I taking time to hear what the Holy Spirit is speaking to me? Do I have ungodly attitudes towards anyone? What is something I need to confess and repent for? Am I living a life of worship and gratefulness?" 

Proverbs 4:23 - "Guard your heart above all else, for it is the source of life!"

James 3:13-14 - "Who is wise and has understanding among you? He should show his works by good conduct with wisdom's gentleness. But if you have bitter envy and selfish ambition in your heart, don't brag and deny the truth." 

Step two: Identify problem areas.
If you identify an area that needs work (maybe you are carrying bitterness towards someone or you have noticed yourself complaining frequently), make an action plan and start working on it. Ask a close friend to hold you accountable if needed.

Psalm 139:23-24 - "Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my concerns. See if there is any offensive way in me; lead me in the everlasting way." 

Step three: Clean it. 
When there is a blockage of a heart artery, one of several things can happen. A heart attack - resulting in anywhere from serious injury to your heart or death. Or it gets cleared through lifestyle changes and/or a procedure or surgery, and the problem is dealt with.

How to clean your spiritual heart:
1. Confess problem areas and sin to God.

1 John 1:9 - "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." 

Psalm 119:26 - "I told You about my life, and You listened to me; teach me Your statues." 

2. Repent.

Hosea is talking to the people of Israel when he speaks these words, but they can easily be applied to our lives as well. Hosea 14:2-3: "Take words of repentance with you and return to the Lord. Say to Him: 'Forgive all our sin and accept what is good, so that we may repay You with praise from our lips." 

3. Restore

Psalm 51 is a great prayer for restoration to pray! Verse 10 states, "God, create a clean heart for me and renew a steadfast spirit within me.

4. A Lifestyle Change
Just as a heart-healthy lifestyle requires being purposeful about a nutritious diet and frequent exercise: a lot of times, in order to truly cleanse our hearts, we must make a choice to change something. If we struggle with gossip, we must make the choice to keep our thoughts in our heads and sometimes even separate ourselves from people we find ourselves gossiping with. If we struggle with pride, we must learn how to lay down our independence and practice asking God and people around us for help even if we know (or think we know) we can handle it alone.

Matthew 6:21 - "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." 


If the state of your heart is in a good place, continue tending to it through spending time in the Word, worshipping Jesus, and praying. And take time for a heart check every so often!


(google image)


Comments