The Lord is My Hiking Guide - Psalm 23 Elizabeth Style

Psalms 23 was a passage that I memorized as a young child. I can probably say it in my sleep without much thought into what I'm saying.

Psalm 23 (Holman CSB version)
The Good Shepherd - 
The Lord is my shepherd;
there is nothing I lack. 
He lets me lie down in green pastures; 
He leads me beside quiet waters.
He renews my life;
He leads me along the right paths
for His name's sake. 
Even when I go through the darkest valley, 
I fear no danger, 
for You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff - they comfort me. 
You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies;
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows. 
Only goodness and faithful love will pursue me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord 
as long as I live. 

A few weeks ago a lady at church shared how she had taken Psalm 23 and rewritten it for her own personal life. So today as I was walking in the woods, I thought up how mine would go.

Pretty trees in Michaux State Forest last week! 

The Hiking Guide -
The Lord is my hiking guide,
I shall not get lost.
He lets me sleep in a dry tent.
He leads me to cool streams of fresh water.
He brings peace to my soul and gives me creative ideas.
He leads me on paths that bring honor to Him.
Even though I struggle up rocky hills
and soak my sneakers sludging through mud,
I am not afraid or frustrated.
Your walking stick and Your map guide and comfort me.
You prepare a warm campfire meal for me
in front of people who don't understand me. 
You anoint my head with raindrops.
My water bottle overflows.
Only goodness and faithful love will pursue me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the forest of the Lord as long as I live.

What would your personalized Psalm 23 look like? What is a way that you relate to God? 

Sometimes, viewing things from a different side opens up your mind to new revelations.

Even tonight, as I was reviewing Psalm 23, I realized how David switches from referring to God as "He" to "You" - making it more personal. And not only that, but the switch happens after David walks through "the valley of the shadow of death."

I challenge you to meditate on Psalm 23 and then to write your personalized one. What new truths is God showing you?

Comments