A Blessing for the Journey

(Picture taken in Maine, 2018)

Why I Drive
I need highways and backroads and long drives
like athletes need the pounding of pavement under their feet
or the adrenaline rush of competition. 

It's both running away and coming into my own.

An act of being still and contemplative
while still in motion. 

It's a space that's all mine to use how I choose. 

It's deep worship and heartfelt prayers. 

It's carefree laughter and jamming out to rock music. 

It's fighting my way through anger, hurt, and tears. 

As I drive, my thoughts change like the scenery
and weave and whirl like the roads. 

It's paying attention to the physical world
and learning how to pay attention to the spiritual. 

It's wrong turns and right turns,
missed exits and random adventures.

Different seasons, any hour, varying weather. 

Still moving, going, being. 

The journey continues as I drive. 

One of progress making and goal setting,
but also resting, and sorting thoughts,
dreaming ideas, and healing. 

It's a sacred space.

--------------------------------------------------
This is why I crave time on the road, hours at a time.

This is why I get on the road after a busy week of work and life.

So, no matter what your journey looks like or the way you create space to process and heal and move forward, this is my blessing and prayer for you.

A Blessing for the Journey
May you have the courage to keep moving forward,

May you hold tightly to truth and dispose of the rest. 

May the winding path bring order to your soul.

May delays just be perfect timing in disguise. 

May each scenery and season change enlighten you to new beauty.

May the faithfulness of the Father be evident as you look back at where you have come from.

May the faithfulness of the Father guide you
as you continue walking down the path He has prepared your feet for. 

Go forth, my friend, wholeheartedly, obediently, courageously.

Comments