Christmas Chaos & Treasured Moments



As I duck in and out of stores during the Christmas season, I get slightly overwhelmed by the bustling people, Christmas music blaring through the speakers, and an overload of tinsel and sparkling lights and wrapping paper. The never-ending list of items I must check off my to-do list fills my mind at a frantic pace – finish up the last few days of work before the holiday, write work reports, pack for Peru, make a list of people I need to get presents for, order said Christmas presents, write Christmas cards, drink lots of coffee, make sure I rest enough so my body continues to return to health, run errands. Where is the silence that we sing about in “Silent Night”?

Then the lyrics to “Silent Night” flowed through my mind, and as I pondered them, I couldn’t help but think that the night Jesus was born maybe was a little chaotic in its own way. So, I started reflecting on the various scriptures about the events surrounding His birth.

Matthew 1:18-25 mention how the angel showed up to Joseph in a dream to tell him about the coming child. If you’ve ever had a vivid dream, adrenaline courses through your body, sometimes causing you to wake up or cry in your sleep. Your brain certainly isn’t at rest. First Joseph has to process that it looks like his betrothed cheated on him, then an angel shows up and Joseph has to process the coming responsibility. If I was in his shoes, my mind would be racing furiously, a chaotic tangle of thoughts and planning.

Luke 2:1-7 talk about the masses of people flowing into town for the census. The town was bursting at its seams with no room for Mary and Joseph to sleep in. The animals most likely housed in the stable probably made noises as they ate their hay and did other things that animals do.

Luke 2:8-21 is a passage about the shepherds in the fields watching their animals. I imagine that they talked and joked to stay awake to protect their wooly charges from wild animals. And you know it wasn’t quiet when the angels showed up and belted out songs of worship to the Lord. Then, in their awe and excitement, the shepherds rushed to see the baby and talk to Mary and Joseph.

Matthew 2:1-12 writes about the wise men coming to visit Jesus as a child. It had been a two-year journey of reading the stars, consulting the king, searching for and visiting the child, having a dream about the evil plans the king had in mind for the baby, and traveling back to their own country.

They weren’t concerned about shopping and presents and holiday cheer, but the people surrounding the event of Jesus’s birth certainly were busy in their own ways. One thing that really stuck out to me this year when I was reading these passages was Luke 2:19, “But Mary treasured up all these things, pondering them in her heart.” Mary was in the midst of all of this movement and excitement and still found time to treasure and ponder things.

It is so easy for me to lose sight of these quiet moments as I flit from task to task. What is externally or internally distracting us from pondering the goodness? 

In my life, I get externally distracted by a busy life. Taking time to process things isn’t always a skill that comes naturally to me, and when I am caught up in the midst of a busy season, it happens even less. I have been trying very hard to create pockets of processing time. One pocket of time looked like me driving in my car with my radio off just thinking as I drove. It gave me time to identify things in my life lately that I can treasure and ponder. Another pocket of time was just sitting with my eyes closed for a few minutes before I started in on my to-do lists.

Internally, I get distracted by thoughts and fears and worries. I don’t know about you, but lately, I’ve really been having to fight feelings of stress and panic that threaten to overwhelm me. I’ve definitely had moments of sobbing in my car and thoughts racing as I try to fall asleep. Yesterday was one of those days where I just was really fighting those feelings. I called my mom to have her pray for me, and just blasted worship music in my car.

So, how do we make time in busy seasons (and otherwise) to treasure moments in our hearts? 

1. We Control Our Minds!
I love neuroscience and I think that thought control is incredibly important. I was listening to a podcast last week that pastor Steven Furtick did with Dr. Caroline Leaf, a cognitive neuroscientist. (It can be found at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea8pHeetkgo – you should listen!). She talks about the power of rewiring our brain to have positive thoughts. I also was reading an article about “Happy Brain, Happy Life” along the same lines – https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/prime-your-gray-cells/201108/happy-brain-happy-life.

In the frenzy of life and the season, it can be hard to control our thought life. Our tempers are shorter with people. Our focus is distracted on making our present lists, checking out sales, and baking cookies. Yet, now is when we MUST practice thought control.

2 Corinthians 10:4-5 says, “For the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh but have divine power to destroy strongholds. We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ…”

2. We long for more. Set aside time to breathe, or better yet, make it a lifestyle! 
Drink that cup of coffee and think through your day. Take a few extra minutes in the shower to breathe deeply. Laugh with your kids and loved ones. Walk slowly down the sidewalk (this is always a struggle for me). Savor the moments. We long for deeper things of substance. Don’t give in to the temptation to mask this longing with shallow busyness. Rest in what Jesus is trying to show you in life.

In Psalm 42:1 it is written, “As deer pant for a flowing stream, so pants my soul for you, Oh God.” 

3. We look closely!
When we slow down, we can more closely observe what is happening. When I look closely, I take time to admire the pine needles of my tree and the glint the lights make off the ornaments. When I look closely, I take time to smile at people and spread the love of Jesus. When I look closely, I see opportunities God is giving me.

Isaiah 43:19 - "Behold, I am doing a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert."

4. Write it down!
Whether through journaling or jotting it down on legal pads, take time to write down what you are processing and learning. It is so encouraging to look back on what God shows you. That’s the main reason I blog – I love looking back and reflecting on all I’ve learned this far!

Luke 2:19 - “But Mary treasured up all these things, pondering them in her heart.”


As I reflect on all God is teaching me during this Advent season, the word “Emmanuel” flows through my mind. Emmanuel means God with us. He is here, with us. Not watching from a distance. May the peace of Emmanuel fill your heart and mind as you treasure and process the moments you are given!

Comments