Lean In! - My Phrase for 2019

Definition: pushing into what life offers, whether comfortable or uncomfortable; clinging tightly and holding on even when everything in me wells up to retreat; embracing vulnerability by choice with those I love; standing and dealing and fighting and hoping while I keep my eye on what matters.

“I spent a lot of years trying to outrun or outsmart vulnerability by making things certain and definite, black and white, good and bad. My inability to lean into the discomfort of vulnerability limited the fullness of those important experiences that are wrought with uncertainty: love, belonging, trust, joy, and creativity to name a few.” – Brene Brown

“My advice to you is to soften into the discomfort. Accept it. Knowing that it's gifting you growth, fuel, and grit. Whatever it may be that you’re claiming this year as your desire and dream, I wish you the comfort within discomfort. The stillness within the unease. The softening within the stretch. And mostly, I wish you the match that lights and revives the fire to keep you going. Because you can keep going.” – Victoria Erickson, The Edge of Wonder
------------------------
In 2019, I will lean into my relationship with Jesus, letting Him guide me and speak wisdom into my life.

“For it is better to suffer for doing good, if that should be God’s will, than for doing evil.” – 1 Peter 3:17

In 2019, I will lean into my relationship with Luis, embracing vulnerability and lots of mercy and grace.

“Let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God’s sight is very precious.” – 1 Peter 3:4

In 2019, I will lean into conversations with friends, whether hard or lighthearted - learning, growing, building accountability.

“Preparing your minds for action, and being sober-minded, set your hope fully on the grace that will be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ.” – 1 Peter 1:13

In 2019, I will lean into the tears – no matter what emotion is behind them, knowing that sometimes they are the best way to cleanse my heart and draw me closer to the heart of the Father.

“Having purified your souls by your obedience to the truth for a sincere, [sisterly] love, love one another earnestly from a pure heart, since you have been born again, not of perishable seed but of imperishable, through the living and abiding word of God.” – 1 Peter 1:22-23

--------------
Side note: This is my third year for picking a phrase to focus on and it's a practice that I really like. I tend to pick a phrase that has stirred in my brain a lot, then collage an image for it, and then write and define what that looks like to me. When I am finished, I hang it on my refrigerator and take time to look at it and remind myself throughout the year. 

Comments