Stretching Perspectives

A row house isn't what I had in mind when we went to buy our first house. 

An hour commute each way to work sometimes feels like a tremendous waste of time when I have to give up precious minutes of rest and housework and creativity.

Sometimes I get sick and tired of being constantly around noise and sirens and stepping around dog poop when I walk down the side walk. Not to mention I miss, miss, miss having easy access to the woods and my beloved trees. 

I find myself biting back interjections when yet another person steps out in front of me driving without even looking. 

It takes work to build new friendships and feels lonely that I can't just slip into comfort like I do with longtime friends. 

The last thing I want to do after a day of work is lug my heavy bags up a hill when I can't find parking in front of the house.


Tonight I read this verse - 
"We can be sure that we’ve truly come to live in intimacy with God, not just by saying, “I am intimate with God,” but by walking in the footsteps of Jesus." - 1 John 2:5-6 (The Passion Translation)

I love that - the assurance of intimacy with God is in our walking the footsteps of Jesus. And when I look at the above things, I can see the hand of God as I've been working on this walk. How He has guided and provided for me along the way, giving me people and opportunities I never knew I needed in my life. 


My row house is a million times better than I dreamed a row house could be - it has a beautiful brick exterior and deck out back that I can watch gorgeous sunsets from. It's open floor plan in the living room and kitchen are the perfect size for potlucks and game nights with friends - a cozy, squeezed in, laughter-filled space. It has a guest room and office space and vinyl wood flooring (have I mentioned how much I hate vacuuming?). 

My hour commute in the mornings gives me time to sip my coffee and meditate to Lectio 365 and sing worship music. On the way home, it gives me time to decompress and listen to podcasts and creates space to process and brainstorm. 

Even though I live in the city, I live on the edge of it, tucked away on a tiny street at the foot of a mountain and within walking distance of a second mountain. We walked up one of the wooded trails tonight and then walked down one of my very favorite historic neighborhoods in the area - enjoying the gift of a 61 degree day in the beginning of February, each other's company, and dreaming together. 

Crazy drivers and jaywalkers teach me patience and awareness. I'm still working on my road raging..

Loneliness teaches me gratitude, gives me space to process, and teaches me to put myself out there with confidence!

And lack of parking spots? Teaches me how to give grace to the neighbors and build relationships and smile and choose kindness.

All these things, I keep dreaming and being open to new ideas, but I am so grateful for here, now. I look forward to living in a single-family home again some day, but I love our house now. I look forward to the day I don't have an hour commute, but I am thankful that I enjoy my job. 

At church yesterday our pastor talked about being stretched - "When there is stretching, there is either going to be a break or a breakthrough. The result is up to you." 

Tonight, I am deeply thankful for the grace-filled adventures Jesus takes me on when I'm willing to be open. I'm thankful for recharging nights, quality time, and slower paces. I'm thankful for lots of trees near to me and parks and exploring. 

Exploring old buildings

Tree lace!

Golden sunsets

A spring-fed creek

My Man on an antique bridge


Comments