Valentine's Lovin'!

I love Valentine's Day.

Let me say it again, I LOVE VALENTINE'S DAY!

And no, this isn't because it's my first married Valentine's Day, although that's a true fact.

My single Valentine's Days were spent with friends and having movie nights and milkshakes (...have you ever tried a milkshake with Baileys?? ;) ) or cooking steak dinners and cheesecake at home.

Why I love Valentine's Day
Why do I have love affair with Valentines (of course the pun is intended!)? Because how could you not be happy on a day full of opportunities to be kind to people??? The legends behind Valentine's Day are pretty fascinating. History.com has an interesting article about it - https://www.history.com/topics/valentines-day/history-of-valentines-day-2 .

Jesus demonstrated sacrificial love for us. Now we have the opportunity to do that for others in our life. We should be doing that daily, but it's fun to celebrate Valentine's Day as a day to be renewed and made aware of it all over again.

My Marriage + Valentine's Day
Luis' words to me this year were, "I'm not planning on getting you anything, so if you are expecting it, please tell me so I can get you something. I love you every day." I just laughed and laughed.

That was totally fine with me. I bought my own tulips and chocolate! And I got to have breakfast with a friend this morning on my day off.


My Valentine's Morning

One reason I'm fine not getting a Valentine's present today is because Luis loves me daily. The other day I was having a scary, sad day, and I walked in the door to tulips on the table, homemade cookies, a candle burning, and a husband doing the dishes. When we learn how to love people well, we love them all the time, not just on special days.

Luis' gift to me a few weeks ago

It is an absolute honor to get to do life with my best friend. But getting to do life solo was an honor as well. Tonight we get to speak at a gathering about The Blessings of Singleness and Marriage and I can't wait because it is something I am so passionate about - seeing the beauty in where you are, and in loving others around you.

My beloved and I

How to live a Valentine's Lifestyle

  • Make a care package for a friend
  • write handwritten notes of appreciation
  • invite people over for a meal
  • visit a nursing home
  • serve at a soup kitchen
  • Give a bouquet of flowers to a random lady
  • babysit for friends
  • make and deliver cookies
  • buy a coffee for someone in line behind you
  • Ask God for creative ideas to love people
"Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love." - 1 John 4:7-8 (NIV)

Comments