Feet on the Ground


I'm getting to know my neighborhood as I get outside and walk. I'm learning the houses and sidewalk cracks; where my favorite trees are and how to get closer to the woods. I'm exchanging Hellos and Hola's and smiles as I greet people coming and going and front porch sitting and walking. I'm learning where my favorite views to stop and take in the city are. To appreciate the architecture of houses and the small touches that make them homes. 

My feet are on the ground. 

Here in Reading, Pennsylvania.

I'm learning how to walk by faith these days. To feel gratefulness for simple things like neighborhood walks.

It's hard to hate something (or someone) if you take time to look closer for beauty.

There is something to this neighborhood life. We have been talking about it at church lately in a series titled "Won't You Be My Neighbor?" - what it looks like and how to live it. One of our sessions had the following Mr. Rogers quote -
"What changes the world? The only thing that changes the world is when someone gets the idea that love can abound and be shared."

I have been reading Beth Moore's newest book "Chasing Vines." Despite Beth being a well-known Bible teacher, I don't think I have ever read a book of hers before. But one day I heard an interview that she did on a favorite podcast of mine and I knew it was a book I needed to read.

This paragraph on page 99 jumped out to me ---
"You, too, have been intentionally planted. You didn't land here by accident. The direction you face, the way your life slopes - none of it came about by happenstance. There may be days when you grow weary of climbing and you long for flatter terrain. But the slopes are overlaid with tremendous purpose. God uses them to tilt us toward the light, to drain the sludge from our hearts with spring rains, and to offer us a view of the landscape that will one day turn into vision."

May this be my anthem these days, the words I speak over my life, the reminder even on sludgy days.

Micah 6:8 came to mind on my walk tonight.
"Mankind, He has told you what is good and what it is the Lord requires of you: to act justly, to love faithfulness, and to walk humbly with your God."


Sometimes I get bogged down in the lie that "I don't know what I'm supposed to do next," but when I stop and reflect, I know my marching orders.

  • Love God with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength. 
  • Love my neighbors - all of them. Everyone I come in contact with. The ones right next door to me. 
  • Act justly. To pursue justice is a gut-wrenching thing. Advocate. But more than that, do life with people. Be vulnerable. Give generously. 
  • Love faithfulness. Faithfulness is hard in the trenches with people. When I'm frustrated at God, it can be hard in the trenches then too. But here I am, feet on the ground doing this thing. 
  • Walk humbly with God. He's the guide, not me. I'm just told to walk humbly along with him. 

A college textbook I read on marriage and families said that the happiness of your marriage is directly correlated to how you view your spouse. If you start vocalizing all the critiques you have and hold resentments, you will be significantly more dissatisfied than if you view your spouse in a better light of "it's a mistake, but I know that his intent isn't to hurt me." People and places are much the same way. What you see is what you get. 

Feet on the Ground in Action
  • Smile at people. Acknowledge the people around you. If you know their names, use them. 
  • Make places beautiful. Pick up trash. Plant flowers. Be a warm presence. 
  • Walk the neighborhood or local town. Get to know it. 
  • Look closely for beauty. The stained glass window in an old house. A tiny wildflower on the ground. A fun wreath on someone's door. 
  • Speak life. Pray. Encourage people.
  • Bake cookies for the neighbors or an extra batch of soup or muffins. Double a recipe and then go deliver. 
  • Give snacks to the neighbor kids. 
  • Be in the community. 
Feet on the Ground is faithfulness in action. All it asks is that we show up, listen, and be intentional. 

Comments