Where There's Life, There's Hope

Even though everybody living in Spring 2020 is going through the same thing right now - a world pandemic, I'm prefacing with the reminder for when I look back some day and re-read this.

We are on day 16 of quarantine. I haven't been able to write because these days I forget what day it is let alone stringing coherent thoughts together. Daily lists help me make a routine while also providing time to cook, read, sleep, relax, exercise, clean the house, and work on what I can from home. 

These days, it's hard to look past the big picture of the pandemic and quarantine, to the bigger picture of what God is doing, so I have just been focusing on details. 

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien is one of my very favorite books, and although I haven't read it for awhile (I might just have to start re-reading it after I'm done writing!) there is so much wisdom and hope in the midst of uncertainty in it. A line of Gandalf's came to me as I was walking around the neighborhood today - “I have found that it is the small everyday deed of ordinary folks that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."

The small, everyday things I intentionally take notice of are breathing hope into me these days -
  • Reading Exodus in the Bible and being reminded that God is bigger than wild times
  • wild flowers, budding trees, and other elements of nature on neighborhood walks
  • giving homemade cookies to our mailman
  • hot mugs of tea and honey
  • slow kisses and extra snuggles with my husband
  • technology and the ability to connect with family, friends, church, and work from home
  • plenty of food and time to try new recipes
  • neighborhood walks and hikes
  • a balcony to look at the night sky and sunsets off of
  • an abundance of books
  • laughter 
  • playing games
  • drawing, painting, and mailing cards
  • silly Snapchats and Instagram stories
  • sharing with our neighbors
  • sweet neighbor lady who keeps an eye out for packages for me
  • heavy blankets
  • naps
  • a cozy home
  • completing my office decorations 
  • birds chirping me awake
What things are you noticing in your life these days, big or small? 

"Where there's life, there's hope." - J.R.R. Tolkien

The following pictures I've taken as I've noticed beauties on recent walks -- buds of hope and things to come! 


 

 

Comments