Monotony & Mugs


"The crucible of our formation is in the monotony of our daily routines." - Tish Harrison Warren

This quote has been on my bulletin board for probably a year or more now after I read it in Tish Harrison Warren's book "The Liturgy of the Ordinary."..back before there was a global pandemic and I was desperately trying to create new daily routines and rhythms in my home.

Today I gave the bulletin board a facelift as I re-wrote the quote (in my fancy new chalk markers..so much better than actual chalk!) and drew the mugs that are so much a part of my routine, even more so these days.

A homemade latte in the morning - usually with a drizzle of honey and a few shakes of cinnamon. Sometimes hot, sometimes iced. Sipping it as I plan out my work day or read my Bible. Taking time to do what energizes both the Spirit, body, and mind to start the day.

Mid-morning or early afternoon, life-giving water fills the mug as I try to hydrate throughout my day, complete a workout, and continue working.

Late afternoon passes by and I finish replying to emails, tidy up my desk, and close my laptop. The mug keeps water, or sometimes green or herbal tea as I prepare dinner and take care of the house. Sometimes the mug gets to go on a neighborhood walk with me as I breathe the fresh air, or sit with me on my deck as I breath deeply.

Chamomile Sleepytime tea fills my mug in the evenings, as Luis and I transition to slower times - laughing and talking, reading, or playing a game before bed. The sips reminding me that it's okay to slow down.

As I curl up in bed, the mugs stay in the sink, ready for a rinse and repeat the next day.

That is how I do routines these days - one day at a time. Clinging fiercely to hope, but focusing hard on finding gratitude in the monotony.

Making the lattes, drinking the tea, washing the mugs, and all the moments in between.

One day at a time walking through the crucible, because I want to come out tried and tested and stronger than I ever thought possible.

Sniff the hot steam from the tea, breathing deeply. Sip the tea, letting the warmth fill you one mouthful at a time. Savor the moment, hope is still here.

Comments