Wonder Doesn't Have an Age Limit

(My hot chocolate bar table decoration)

 The Ghost of Christmases Past

As a kid, I loved the anticipation of Christmas. Looking outside and seeing twinkling lights draped around the neighbors trees like festive necklaces. Sugar highs of cookie baking and decorating. Brown cardboard packages arriving in the mail containing presents and Nana's cookies. Quiet Christmas Eves where we read Luke 2 and got to open one present. Stocking hunts on Christmas morning and homemade cinnamon buns for breakfast. Reading Christmas books all season. Christmases at my grandparents farm house full of laughter and games with cousins and trying not to break fragile antiques. 

As a grown up, there have been some Christmas seasons that I disappointedly compare to past ones, wishing for the child-like anticipation to wash over me. Or the hurried Christmas season where I experienced a California desert Christmas (think sand, palm trees, and a lot of lights, with no snow or cold) and moved cross country the week of Christmas. Or where I'm so busy trying to survive the three school weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas that I crawl across the December 23rd deadline line an exhausted marathon runner with only basic necessities and rest in mind, leaving no room for magical moments. 

Noticing Leads to Wonder

One of my readings this week had the following statement in it and I've been pondering it all week --

"When we reflect at daybreak on a small portion of God's truth, beauty, or goodness, we open ourselves to seeing it unfold in the flesh throughout a candid comment from a child, a hint of snowfall in the scent of morning air, or the kindness in the smile of our mail carrier. Noticing God helps us keep noticing him." - Tsh Oxenreider, Shadow & Light

It issues a gentle challenge - am I taking the time to notice God in this season, in 2020, and in other areas I've been tempted to cast aside? 

This time next year, I will have an almost 8 month old child. I am so excited to see their excitement over pretty lights and feeling the tingly tree branches of our Frasier Fir. I'm excited to see their curiosity as they rip into presents and play with wrapping paper and boxes and bows. I am excited to make memories that they won't remember quite yet and to build family traditions like my family had growing up. 

There is something magical about the perspective through the eyes of a child. The innocence and joy. The easy excitement. The curiosity and questions. 

Yet, the older I get, the more I realize that child-like eyes are a heart attitude. The good new is, there's not an age limit to when the wonder stops! 

In fact, other than Jesus, and baby John the Baptist, there are no children mentioned in the Bible about the birth of Christ. And still, there was no lack of joy and wonder to all those who were a part of the story. 

  • John the Baptist leapt for joy in his mother Elizabeth's womb when he heard Mary's greeting (Luke 1:41, 44).
  • Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit and exclamation (Luke 1:42). 
  • The shepherds in the field were afraid at first when angels appeared in the sky, but then with curiosity and wonder headed to see the baby and proclaimed the news, then glorified and praised God (Luke 2:8-17).
  • The people who heard the news from the shepherds were in wonder (Luke 2:18). 
  • Mary held the precious moments in her heart and pondered and thought on them (Luke 2:19).
  • Simeon waited for the consolation (def: the comfort to a person/people who have suffered) of Israel and then got to hold and bless Jesus in the temple (Luke 2:25-35).
  • Mary and Joseph marveled at the blessing given to Jesus by Simeon in the temple (Luke 2:33).
  • Anna the Prophetess worshipped and prayed and fasted daily and when she heard the news about Jesus, she praised God and spoke of the baby to the people (Luke 2:36-38).
  • The Wise Men rejoiced with exceedingly great joy (Matthew 2:10).

The state of our hearts and our lives drives our perspective on events, situations, and people. I am responsible for my own heart. You are responsible for your own heart. 

Feeling cynical or bitter? Do a heart check. Feeling hopeless or angry? Heart check. Feeling disappointed or frustrated? Heart check. 

This year, I knew that I would have to make space in my schedule and in my heart for the anticipation of Advent. I got my tree up before Thanksgiving and enjoy sitting beside it in the evenings reading or doing household chores. I bought decorations for our neighbor kids to decorate the five trees outside of our house. My Israeli olive wood nativity is nestled under the tree, a sweet reminder of my Grammy who gave it to me and of my time spent in Israel. I mailed packages of Christmas cheer to some friends and ordered Christmas cards. I've been enjoying my "Shadows & Light" Advent book by Tsh Oxenreider and my Advent email series from Hannah Brencher, as I take a few moments each day to refocus on the hope of the season. Hot chocolate with whipped cream fills my mug some evenings, and my sister-in-love gave me the cutest holiday pillows that I like to snuggle up with on my beanbag. Christmas music has been on almost non-stop in my car and in the house. A pine candle fills the air. These are the moments that fill me with delight.

My job and schools are as crazy as ever, and even more so with the constant pandemic changes, but I'm enjoying this time so much and my heart is at such peace. I'm learning to unwrap each day as it comes and savor all those small moments.     

Christmas Preparation

Wonder is created through engagement, so consider this your invitation to jump into the season with arms and heart open! 

Check your heart. Make sure that if you feel disappointment, fear, and other disheartening emotions, that you do something to counteract it as needed. Feeling lonely? Send Christmas cards and packages. Feeling afraid? Be purposeful about inviting a friend over for goodies and conversation.

Create delight in your home. It doesn't have to be over the top but add some Christmas-themed things around your home. My mini hot chocolate bar on our kitchen table makes the perfect cozy and delicious decoration! My tree is quirky and perfect with ornaments from various life stages. 

Engage your senses. Soothing music. Scented candles. Bright lights. Tasty cookies. 

Spend time around children. Whether they are yours or you borrow them (friends, cousins, nieces and nephews, etc.), spend time reading books and laughing and making simple memories. 

Reflect on readings and poems. I love Mary Oliver. 

Messenger
by Mary Oliver
My work is loving the world.
Here the sunflowers, there the hummingbird—
equal seekers of sweetness.
Here the quickening yeast; there the blue plums.
Here the clam deep in the speckled sand.

Are my boots old? Is my coat torn?
Am I no longer young, and still half-perfect? Let me
keep my mind on what matters,
which is my work,

which is mostly standing still and learning to be
astonished.
The phoebe, the delphinium.
The sheep in the pasture, and the pasture.
Which is mostly rejoicing, since all the ingredients are here,

which is gratitude, to be given a mind and a heart
and these body-clothes,
a mouth with which to give shouts of joy
to the moth and the wren, to the sleepy dug-up clam,
telling them all, over and over, how it is
that we live forever.


Notice. Feel. Love. Anticipate. Hope. Wonder. Available freely for those who are willing to dig into it and grab it by the fistfuls. 

Christmas details from around my house

Comments