When the Trees Ask Me Questions, I Listen.



Neighborhood trees

To the side of my neighbor's house two trees almost, but not quite, intertwine. While their trunks are apart, their branches gently embrace and make space for each other. When I make space for trees, I learn from their ancient wisdom. 

The first tree from my vantage point has a base with four or five sturdy limbs braiding upward before sprawling out its branches and widening its space. What were beautiful pink blooms a few weeks ago are now just wilted white remnants. The tree is mostly brown now, probably getting green leaves soon. 

She whispers to me, Are you taking notice what season is fading in your life and what is blooming? 

The second tree is an evergreen tree. Its narrow trunk is twin pillars, towering above the first tree and the home. Evergreen's branches hug tightly to its twin trunks, the deep green needles dense and close-knit. 

He says, Are you noticing what is staying strong and true in your life even in the middle of shifting seasons?  

When the trees ask me questions, I take heed of their words.

It's been an odd few weeks in our home as we change jobs and seek new rhythms, greatly mirroring the Spring that seems to be close than yanked away again. Some moments I'm joyous and grateful; other moments raw panic wins as it tries to claw its way up my stomach and throat and spew venomous words. 

I'm a long time dissenter of transitions, and swamp-walking through the midst of them, I always feel a few steps behind, like I can't quite catch up physically, mentally, or emotionally. 

My neighbor trees are holding out their branches as they offer me the opportunity to take inventory of life right now. 

What is fading in my life? 

My passion for working in schools and doing a traditional role as an occupational therapy assistant. My need for a lot of friends. Steady income from Luis' teaching job. My unrealistic expectations for myself and others. 

What is blooming in my life? 

My sweet girl as she grows and develops. Opportunities to be in community with women and mamas. Friendships with both old and new friends. Learning how to be a doula and grow in knowledge. Mom groups bringing laughter, support, and the chaos of child-raising. Business ideas. Learning how to trust the process. Flowers in my newly cleaned up yard. 

What is evergreen? 

My delight in trees, but mostly in their Creator. My unwavering belief that there is hope ahead. The value in cultivating gratitude and Divine noticing, and how those practices heal my cynical soul more than anything else. 


On The Next Right Thing podcast episode I listened to this week, Emily P. Freeman asked the question "What is saving my life right now?" 

Time outside in the sunshine. Shauna Niequist's new book. Relaxing baths with Epsom salts and a book. My spring candles from The Blue Tree Frog Co. Homemade Iced Almond Joy coffee. Sweet words and snuggles with my husband and daughter. 


You are invited to partake of the questions -- 

  • Are you taking notice what season is fading in your life and what is blooming? 
  •  Are you noticing what is staying strong and true in your life even in the middle of shifting seasons?  
  • What is saving your life right now? 

Comments