The Tale of Two Golden-Agers

 


At the farmers market today, Jael was babbling away pleasantly to people. One older gentleman caught her eye and she waved and he waved back. A few minutes later, we ended up at the table beside his as we munched on our soft pretzel. Again, Jael waved at him and delightedly he started talking to us.

"I can tell that little girl is going to be a doctor or a lawyer or something. Some day I'm going to open up the paper and read about her. She is smart and doesn't miss a thing!" He told me.

We talked about his grandkids and his kids, all educated and working hard. He told me how he was a single dad, and proudly pulled out his son's business card and told me how his son was an emergency room doctor.

We chatted awhile and he said, "I hope to see you again in here some morning! In a world with everyone talking about bad news, I'm going to tell my daughter how much your little girl made my day!"

A few moments later, I was at another stand when he found me again and slipped a $20 bill in my hand with a request to add it to Jael's savings.

We meandered towards the exit and ran into one of our local librarians. As we stood there chatting, an older lady rammed her cart into the librarian's ankle. With a lemon-sucking face she snapped, "You ran into ME!" to the librarian and walked away, emanating bitterness.

//

It starts now.

It starts in the way I view people.

It starts in how I create time and space for conversations to happen, instead of being stressed out and rushed for time.

It starts in my home and how I love and disciple.

The trick to having a truly golden age is to view people as worthy of honor, kindness, and generosity. When I have that, the rest just can't help but flow out of me!


When my hair turns white, and there are more years behind me than in front of me, I know which golden-ager I want to be. I want to be the one speaking life into younger generations, and having uplifting conversations, and slipping $20 bills into hands.


"Don't save up love like you're going to retire on it. Give it away like you are made of it." - Bob Goff

Comments